First new sketch complete

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 1st test sketch for the new sketching technique in black & white mix media. It is of a world leader (not mentioning who) with a sad day expression. These 2 pics are taken off my video I'm getting of the progress (for YouTube later). The carved tree pen, graphic pencil, charcoal pencil, mix has some unexpected properpies when viewed at night with the overhead light on. There is a glitter as looked at from different angles or location, almost like a metallic luster. Those pic are still in my digital camera, will have them later. The glitter might best be described as a moving pattern of illumination, changes with different angles of view. Possibly the effect is from varying amounts of graphite blended into the charcoal.

1447988540_meartwork1.jpg

These were from diffused window light.

1447988618_meartwork2.jpg

AtomRat said:
Awesome work mate :) Does your vid show the sparkle effect? Sounds interesting! Nice easel too..looks compact :)
I bought the easel back before Y2K, had plans of painting but I got too messy for in the house, so put all aside for a decade. Now I'm back at it again, only this time in a safe way (mostly dry sketch media). The ink takes about 2 drops in a plastic cap which isn't a spill risk when using my hand carved tree branch pens. There is a little of that glitter top of head in the one pic, because changed the easel position. Used my DSLR camera for the at night with overhead light, don't have that on video yet.....those make the portrait seem to come alive having better contrast, the changes from moving give the art a sense of life. There is no fixative sprayed on yet, keep it put away until have another ready. If I put a couple together, should be less waste spraying them. The charcoal is the part where care is needed until applying fixative.

Taking a better look, seems to be none on these pics. It was my fingers only (below hand) but wait for the night overhead light photos and you see way to much, might be an idea for nugget art though. The cross-hatching with graphite into heavy patches using a wide range of pencil lead hardness, is what produces the metallic effect. Charcoal pencil of course, worked back blended into these patches.

1448138931_meartwork2crop.jpg

I think you'll find that metallic effect you're talking about RRD is from too heavy a build up of graphite on the paper. It can be avoided by using a wider range or pencil hardnesses from HB initially through to softer (stronger) blacks rather than trying to get a darker shade through more application of harder (greyer) lead pencil.

I came to the same conclusion, it is mostly in the top left where I'd started. At the beginning was using mostly graphite, different hardness. Even with less you'll always get a little bit in spots. Down on the suit you won't find any, the texture actually, had less of graphite and charcoal only in spots rubbed into pencil areas then darkened with charcoal along edges. The main part of the face done last, so had things under control by then. I've started another sketch of the same world leader, they make a good scape-goat to practice on. The graphite pencils, got a 144 class pack that goes down to 6B hardness, a 1 set of Lumograph brand which goes down in softness to 6B, 7B, 8B. used only in the top left background area.....playing around with that small set is what got me the metallic patches.

I can see it will take quite a few sketches to get this perfected, but no worry, plenty of world leaders to practice (they aren't going to care anyway). Once all the problems seem to be solved, moving on to landscapes and wildlife shouldn't be a big deal.

My attempts of graphite and charcoal when younger mostly turned out to be smudges. I did a portrait of abraham lincoln as my last but I think its long gone now..like most my drawings :(

AtomRat said:
My attempts of graphite and charcoal when younger mostly turned out to be smudges. I did a portrait of abraham lincoln as my last but I think its long gone now..like most my drawings :(
Yes, it can turn into smudges, the ink can be used in strategic places to hold things together. It will most likely take several videos to explain how everything meshes together or better put "how to avoid a disaster" when sketching. I ran into problems on the new portrait, think I've got it fixed no.

Haha

Ill see if I can find some old drawings of mine if your interested. Mostly semi cartoon sketches in pen and pencil..some H.R.Giger inspired devices. I think my mother taking me to a Brett Whitley exhibition was I was 12 broke my visions on what art was or what it could be. That man was nuts.

I'll tell you, after studying a pile of art books and even art magazines a few years.....there has to be a beginning or you really haven't started yet. A finished piece of art you're satisfied with (at least for the moment) enough to attempt another. If that works out, try again, who knows maybe someday it will all work. As they say, "a journey of a 1000 miles begins with the first step".

My favorite class at high school was Art ( all areas ) and it was all fun until they required us to explain why we drew the things we did..and what's the meaning behind our drawings. Now, I don't work like that, I put pen to paper and what comes out happens naturally. I couldn't explain or answer these questions and failed ( except graphical ) year 11 art because of it. I think 3 or 4 subjects :/ kinda put me off my whole fun days of art back then

The art world can be strange. Recently was watching on TV an interview with an older aging artist who has a lot of his work in, I think it was a NYC museum. He sais, I never went to art school and all that is needed is to make squares. Multiple squares or rectangles painted inside, next one smaller each time. Each finished work would be named and not much different from the last one. Try to figure these people out and you'll never be able to do it. Actually, a portrait should be easy to name, artwork does need a title. A sad day expression Sad (person's name) is enough.

The way i see it there is littoral art where you paint/draw what you see in the way you see or feel it, this could be an artist such as Nolan, Whiteley,Van Goth or Picasso etc. And then there is emotional art where you express (paint/draw) what you feel, and artists that fit into this genre could be Rosko, Pollock etc. Then there are artists whose work is used to convey messages about society etc.
So naming can be used as a hint towards what the subject matter is, what the artist is trying to convey regards a feeling, or simply as a means of cataloguing works that can't easily be separated and distinguished by eye alone.

You shouldn't let others stop you from following a passion such as drawing Atom. Along with dance and song it is one of the true arts (purest art forms) where there is no right or wrong, only opinions.

If an art teacher failed you because you couldn't express what you were feeling when doing a drawing then that says more about the limitations of the teacher rather than you.

Cheers Scrounger. I don't know, but back then I didn't know what to say or do and ended in the fail because the teacher just wanted answers. She even told me to make something up which I refused otherwise my art was percieved in a different way.

The teacher was limited..she wasn't a 2d artists.. a 3d artist with sculpture and clay

Thanks for the words scrounger n red :)

My brothers a well known tattooist here..mums a potter / sculpter..dads a photographer..uncles paint portraits ( Jeff Stewart ) .art runs in the blood.

I once had a membership in the American Portrait Society, really liked getting their magazine. I was impressed by this one article where the Artist got commissioned to do very large portraits of either Congressmen or Senators (don't remember which one). I envied that person's ability, but now I'm actually on the verge of being able to do the same. Next will try the 18" x 24" size paper, now have some of it in 140 lb. watercolor or mix media type best professional brand. I think if a person plans well, sets their mind to, then to think outside the box a while, everything or anything in the art realm might be possible.

Where are you located RRD? Ghe reason i ask is because the Ballarat art gallery has just finished showing (very successfully) the Archibald show that travelled from Sydney. It's here again next year and then i believe the year after it will travel to Geelong. If you've never seen it then it's worth making the effort if you're into portraiture.

I'm in the Midwest USA, here with my aging parents, both in their 80s. I'll turn 60 years next March. Worked in new home construction many years with my dad, those days are gone....although he is at it again trimming out a new home for a friend. The artwork had been on the back burner as a possible new career for me. But now it's off the back burner, going ahead with stocking up on supplies. Anyway, need to keep busy so, this is going it for now and hopefully continue on. I always liked the desert and Australia has a lot of bush outback.

Latest posts