First day of summer are you bushfire ready

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shakergt

Moderating Team
Reaction score
1575178651_screenshot_20191201-133527_facebook.jpg

Been preparing for weeks. Mowed the place twice in the last 2 months and have to go over it again before next monday when fire restrictions come in.

Cleaned all the gutters and pipes ,tanks are all full and plenty of water in my dam if i need it. Spent all this weekend with a whipper snipper cutting grass off the wall of another dam i share with a neighbour and around all the sheds and house . Tidied up most of the dead trees and cleared the branches. Got rid of alot of ground fuel and nearly have the place all tidy again.

Still gotta roll out the long hoses ,ready for use and test the dam pump and underground connections. My driveway has at least a 12 foot wide clearance from trees so firetrucks can get in ,but i might cut a bit more of a gap for them.

It`s been an effort this year with the rain keeping the grass growing. As my neighbour points out, the grass is growing behind the mower as i cut it !!!!!!

Not lighting anymore bonfires this year. The grass has cured too much on some parts of the property and on neighbouring properties and the risk of embers floating from a fire and igniting grass or trees elsewhere is too great.

I`m getting there , Shakergt.

Interestingly ,the local designated fire safe evacuation area ,which opens it`s gates during fire season or on total fire ban days has grass 2 feet high ,so it isn`t really safe at the moment !!!!!!

Latest posts