Fire Wood that time again

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Started last weekend, cut a heap of logs and had a hydralic leak on bobcat, should have spat the dummy and gone for a pan. Fixed during the week; stacked a heap of logs ready to block and split. Carted 3 cubic metres to wood shed, so got some for the cook to keep warm. We use about 8 cubic metres for the winter. Things just seem to hinder getting out for a fossick lately; but we will purservere.
Cheers LL

Bought a Chinese saw bench a couple of years ago, same mob that does the splitters, very compact and will cut a 9 " log, has a tungsten blade, 13 hp motor, does a great job on all that small stuff you wouldn"t bother with the chain saw, and a lot quicker too.
Cheers LL

Apparently it's an offence to cut firewood from the side of the road where I live. Local council want the wood to be left alone 'incase' an endangered animal chooses to hollow it out and live in it!
So it's the secluded back roads, and private property cutting for me.

You got to love these Council Morons, leave it there for a fire event; so you can't drive along the road without being cooked. DEPI do have designated Fire Wood collecting areas around the State. Look up their web site. You don't have to get a permit , but it is for personal use only.
Cheers LL

I'll bet the council workers have use of a truck and fuel for the chainsaws all supplied by the ratepayers to supply their wood for the season!!
Jaros-cynical me.

BoydWilliam said:
Apparently it's an offence to cut firewood from the side of the road where I live. Local council want the wood to be left alone 'incase' an endangered animal chooses to hollow it out and live in it!
Yep, its the same here so we have, just like limpalot mentioned, collection zones in the hills. Shamefully..people even take this for granted and take as many loads as they possibly can for themselves, not leaving much for anyone else. Certainly the logs are used for habitat by many species and why its restricted

AtomRat said:
BoydWilliam said:
Yep, its the same here so we have, just like limpalot mentioned, collection zones in the hills. Shamefully..people even take this for granted and take as many loads as they possibly can for themselves, not leaving much for anyone else. Certainly the logs are used for habitat by many species and why its restricted

I went to the local Shire building and got written permission to collect any fallen wood/Trees that way I was covered, I did have the police pay me a visit once while I was working because a tree hugger made a complaint but because I had it in Black and White from the local shire they just left me alone after that, It pays to Ask first and not just help ya self.

john

PS, I think I still have the letter after all these years.

Interesting RR, might go suss that one out, thanks. I have plenty of wood around the house at the moment from fallen trees from past years so not in need of it this year.

What's everyones best technique or favourite tools for wood? I'd love to have a nice Sthil one day with a nice long bar to do some slab work, I like getting blood blisters still using just a wood splitting axe. Had a go at hydraulic ones..but unless you can feed it multiple logs or even have one that splits as it reverses back to position, takes a bit too long for me. I havnt tried the car tyre trick yet

AtomRat said:
Interesting RR, might go suss that one out, thanks. I have plenty of wood around the house at the moment from fallen trees from past years so not in need of it this year.

What's everyones best technique or favourite tools for wood? I'd love to have a nice Sthil one day with a nice long bar to do some slab work, I like getting blood blisters still using just a wood splitting axe. Had a go at hydraulic ones..but unless you can feed it multiple logs or even have one that splits as it reverses back to position, takes a bit too long for me. I havnt tried the car tyre trick yet

Well I tried a few still saws in the first month, But after 5 weeks I went and bought a Sthil MS 064 with a 36 inch Bar and I got it fitted with .404" Chain and Sprockets, Don't waste your time using 3/8 chain, The new Model saw is the 660 don't bother going any smaller because some of those trees can be 6 - 7 feet across and that saw will really make short work of them and what normally takes you half a day to cut you will do in an hour, Ok

good luck,, John

Finished carting the wood down today, 5 loads it the little truck, a least it's close to the house and I can cut and split as I have time. :lol: Can piss down now, I might get out for a pan now, hope to catch up Bazz; time has not been my friend lately.
Cheers LL

BoydWilliam said:
christ almighty did they learn NOTHING from the Kinglake tradgedy,it came out in the news after that they would not listen to anything the Greenies said if it was to the danger of the public, now a few years later councils are doing this shite again

Latest posts