Farm clearance sales...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ever been to one?...or an auction.

My best was 2 oil bar heaters $2.50 each, approximately 300 vinyl records for $5, which included a copy of Beatles Abbey Road. I'm happy with that.

Anyone found any better deals at auctions?

Yeah grew up chasing the clearing sales , 20 years ago they were great value but these days there's op shop owners and self proclaimed pickers at almost every sale.

I can remember filling a 3 ton truck with usable off cuts of steel tube , bars , sheets and w strap for $5.

Also picked up $1500 worth of air operated applicators for spraying sheep not long after their release for $75 , even the auctioneer didn't know what they were for, 2 sets of hoses regulators 3 guns and every nozzle and sized barrel made for them.
Only we hired a set previously i wouldn't have knew what they we either.

Also picked up a very old disc seed drill for under $500 and thought it was probably junk , but we used it for 15 years and probably sowed close to 2000acres with it before reselling it for $800.

Best purchase at every sale would be the steak sandwich and many good yarns.

The clearing sale I was at on Thursday revealed a wealth of half a million bucks to the seller :Y: courtesy of people paying well above the anticipated/asking price. Of all the items (in the hundreds) around 5 or 7 were sold for a genuine clearing sale price. An old Acco prime mover which he would have happily taken 6k/7k sold for 42k :eek: A 6x4 trailer with more holes than a block of swiss cheese more rust than you could poke a stick at solid for $320.00 bucks :lol: :/ There's plenty of people with more cash than sense which results in high prices even on a week day, don't even bother with weekend clearing sales just add 20 or 30% to the already ridiculous prices :beer:

Saw a Grey Fergie , all there and running . Sold for $800 on Face Book market place . Cleaned up and a bit of fresh paint , would sell for $4 k. + . It was not on there for long .

Missed out on a near new camper trailer, fold out canvas tent, lounge room, slide out kitchen, went for a grand!

Missed that gem. Still kinda kicking myself.

RM Outback said:
The clearing sale I was at on Thursday revealed a wealth of half a million bucks to the seller :Y: courtesy of people paying well above the anticipated/asking price. Of all the items (in the hundreds) around 5 or 7 were sold for a genuine clearing sale price. An old Acco prime mover which he would have happily taken 6k/7k sold for 42k :eek: A 6x4 trailer with more holes than a block of swiss cheese more rust than you could poke a stick at solid for $320.00 bucks :lol: :/ There's plenty of people with more cash than sense which results in high prices even on a week day, don't even bother with weekend clearing sales just add 20 or 30% to the already ridiculous prices :beer:

500k plus the farm sale!!

Sorry but I find it hard to feel sorry for farmers during droughts. Last year there was a drought fundraiser in NSW and the farmers still turned up in their 100k land cruisers.

Upside said:
RM Outback said:

500k plus the farm sale!!

Sorry but I find it hard to feel sorry for far
mers during droughts. Last year there was a drought fundraiser in NSW and the farmers still turned up in their 100k land cruisers.

:( :| it's a culmination of he his wife and their children's work mostly 7 days a week and stuff all holidays, was his wife's family property that she was born to. It's not their fault people with more cash than sense turned up and handed it over. Good luck to them in their retirement, the proceeds of the sale are definitely well earned good on them :clap: :clap: :clap:

Like most fund-raising events people who have done well will show up and support their colleagues/mates/associates. Not everyone with a 100k Landcruiser works on the land or in the industry, I think you have miss judged who owns what and where they work to some degree.

Love clearing sales and have picked up some great bargains over the years, then prices went stupid with the 'Green Change' brigade, no clue. Remember one where a guy grabbed an old Bedford for a couple of $K, it had two old dusty crates on the back so before he left he popped the top on one...... a WW2 Harley still in grease paper, second crate he sold off the back of the truck, real lucky strike!

Latest posts