Eureka Gold.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very nice i bet is good to see that your detector is working and finds the yellow stuff :)

Now its time to go to the confessional, for those of you are Catholics.
What looks like GOLD, Feels like GOLD, weighs like GOLD, sometimes aint the real thing. I took my "find" into the Gold Shop at Ballarat today to get it assessed and the lady there said it wasn't the real thing. HOW CAN THAT BE I asked. I'm no geologist she said, you'd better talk to an appropriate person around at Dept of Environment and Sustainability.
So off we went with rocks in hand. The very lovely lady there gave me the really BAD news that it appeared the old miner had been smelting his own ore and this stuff that I'd given her was his slag. So I'm sure you'll all understand that I've had a lousy day with that news. But not to be deterred I got in the car and off we went to Cresswick etc to track down the elusive yellow metal.
Sorry to raise all your hopes of a nice patch. The only thing that haunts me is that if there was slag there the guy must have found something so on the way home we're going back to the patch and thereabouts to see if we can find anything he left behind.
I'll keep you posted. (And I really do feel a right DORK)

Don't feel too bad mate I thought I hit the jackpot before I found yellow stuff for real I took about 500 grams of fools gold took me days to collect. took it into the guy I brought my panning gear from. Went in smiling with jar full of dreams came out as frustrated as ever. Don't let it get you down guessing we have all had one of these moments along the way. I think gold makes sure your worthy and you've put in the effort before she gives herself to you. You seem like you want it enough it will come. Give it time. Be greatfull like me you get to feel like found gold for the first time twice. Great feeling!

Dont worry mate , i have done the same when i started out with fools gold as well, thought i had found a huge patch that everyone had missed , haha , til i showed some to my mate who tried not to break out in uncontrolled laughter ! You WILL get that first bit mate !
Its all part of the learning curve. :cool:

Sad...I looked at it and it just looked odd to me, kind of too man made.

Look at them as signs of what is to come :)

Well tomorrow's the last day of a 4 week jaunt to the Golden Triangle. My old boss used to say, "The harder you work, the luckier you get." Well I've swung my arms off for nearly all 4 of the weeks and have not scored a solitary piece of Gold. The good thing about the trip is that I've been able to iron out some of the operation bugs that me and the Garrett had, so that's been good. (Mr Garrett reckons that it takes about a 100 hrs to get familiar with the machine, and I believe him totally.) Anyway, times up and tomorrow's the last day. May be the best has been left till the last. I hope so. Until the next time I come, cause I'll be back.....keep swingin'.

Well done mate...
I know a lesser person may have given up, but you have proved your strengths!! And enjoyed the Victorian Bush!!
I for one will be looking out for ya and your first bit!!!
Then.....the game changes forever....!

Well the last day has dawned and gone and after nearly 30 days of swinging, still no yellow stuff. I go home to SA now, a state almost devoid of opportunities, so its going to be long time till I can get amongst it again. To all of you who live in or near the opportunities, don't take 'em for granted. Some of us are not so lucky. Till next time, happy swinging!

Bugger Tas i was going to say that that was the darkest gold ive seen but that explains why,dont give up good things come to those who try the hardest.

Cheers Darren

I noticed I hadn't updated you all on the return to the patch on the way home from the holiday. Went back to the spot and decided to ask the question "Where was it going and from where did it come?" like the oldtimers. Well I decided that it had to have come from some hills around the spot and so I took off, detector in hand to check out the slopes. I had a chance to spend a few days there before we set off for home but sadly didn't not find a solitary speck of the yellow stuff. That's not to say its not there, so I live in hope. When I get back there,(well into the future) I'll let you know how I get on. And by then I may go armed with the new Garrett, complete with extra coils, if I can afford them. I'll let you know how I get on.

Bad luck Daz but keep swinging cause the next sound you here could be the real thing.. :)

Hey newbie, hope you didn't throw out all that fools gold, i discovered recently that alot of pyrite contains trace amounts of microscopic gold locked in its matrix, after refining what i thought was 10 ounces of pyrite i managed to get 11grams of gold out of it and quite a bit of raw platinum. Im thinking about posting an instructional on how to get it out.
960039_10151916294993154_649544140_n.jpg

I didn't know that was possible, great stuff mate. I'm looking forward to the instructional.

Latest posts