Equipment advice required

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning all,

I am stuck on what equipment to buy as a Newbie/starter to gold prospecting.
Metal detector I was Thinking of the Garrett AT Pro or Gold, assuming they are good for the Goldfields here in Kalgoorlie,WA.
Spiral wheel?? What do you folks think. Thought more efficient then me panning untill I get the hang of panning.
Maybe a sluice or mini high banker, even though no rivers to be prospected.

Trying to get advice or ideas from folks around here in town is like pulling teeth.
Already received advice from members on here which was greatly appreciated.

Looking at giving a fellow member on here some business once I have everything all sorted.

Any help, recommendations Etc would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,

Peter ;)

If you can scrape up $1200-$1500 I would definatley get a Minelab SD2100 or 2200. They are both great for a beginner and will still find gold. If you need something cheaper I would look at a Garrett infinium it is a PI (pulse induction) detector and more suited to finding gold over there than the AT pro which is more of a coin detector. I have a spare Infinium sitting around as we have 2 GPX 5000s and the infinium doesn't get used anymore. You can have it for $700, but would recommend the Minelabs if you have the extra cash.
I would just practice panning rather than getting a spiral wheel as you will need to learn eventually.

DD

A definate good deal from DD there..
And his advice is spot on too....
If you are a prospector, you have to be a panner....a must!!!
I have a lot of bells and whistles gear, but when it all goes wrong, I still have my gold pan!!

Thanks for the advice and offer DD. I know Minelab seems to be the favourite out here in the Goldfields.
I will see what deals are going for the SD 2100 & 2200, otherwise I will definitely take you up on your offer. Looking to purchase in about a fortnights time.

As for panning. I know and agree that you need practise to learn it and as you said Gold miner, if I want to be a prospector, knowing to pan is a must!!! :8

Once again thanks guys and may you see yellow & find yellow on every outing

Peter

Hi Peter

You have probably already bought but...

Also a newby & after much research I went with Minelab - mind you a top shelf GPX5000 & CTX3030 for wife Di.
When buying our units we did realize that cheaper/used/other Minelab units would have been OK for gold but we had the cash as we had just retired - we plan to do a lot of prospecting all over Oz as grey nomads.

We hope to be in Leinster visiting a crane-driving nephew in Oct13 - are you anywhere near Leinster?

Cheers
Jed

Latest posts