Enoggera, Brisbane

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, So I have been twiddling my thumbs of late, and when I really have not much to do I have a look around my local area (mt coot tha state forest) for the old gold mines from the late 1800s. I'm particularly interested in a bit of land north of the Enoggera Reserve. I was wondering if anybody has had a poke around the area, and whether it would be worth taking a drive out there and bringing home a sample to wash..

I'm guessing the general consensus would be to just get a sample and have a look :p, but I'm just wondering if anybody else has had any luck?

I did read the shafts the old timers were sinking were quite deep like 70 - 100 meters. but I also read that a bloke found some alluvial in a gully nearby, so I figure I could go have a look in some of the water courses?

Thoughts?

They had to have some reason to dig those deep shafts mate......they would had to have found some alluvial to point them in the right direction and where to sink the shafts.

I'm a brissy boy at heart and would like to know how you go mate

I have had an interest in checking out the mining localities on Mt Coot-tha for a long time now. When i can move around with more ease I will be up there with a cuppla buckets to take home and :p process.
Jaros

yeah generally don't dig that far down when you're not getting paid :p..
My concern was I am looking for alluvial deposits down the hill from the shafts.. Now, that said, I went out the the other day and had a look. There is a watercourse that runs in between two shafts ( I didn't actually get to see the shafts as it was pretty over grown, but going by approximate gps, and the lay of the land) however the watercourse isn't part of a permanent creek... its more like a funnel that runs in between and eventually into the creek.

My question now is where the best place to get a sample would be.. there is heaps of big chunky quartz through the water course which is a good sign as the shafts are quartz reef.

should I have a look directly down from the shafts, or find an outcrop of rock that may cut across the water course, or should I just sample the creek where it enters?

any input would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I fear I am just digging holes with no idea :p

Sorry if these are kind of Nooby questions, but hey, there is only one way to learn.

cheers,
Dr4g

Hay Dr4g,
Sample, sample, sample.
If I was you I'd be finding a natural riffle such as a rock bar running across the water course (sometimes under the surface of the gravels) or low flat where the heavies have a chance to accumulate.
Dig down to the bed rock and test pan some material from the bottom.
This will tell you if there are any values in the wash.
It may even pay you to have a look through the mullock heaps if there are any and do some pans to see if they missed anything.
A metal detector would be good for the mullock heaps if you can lay your hands on one.

My metal detector was left in Melbourne when I moved up... don't ask me why.. I'm kicking myself :p

Thanks for the feedback backcreek! I can pick up what you're putting down, I'll have to go back up and have a better look, and take a shovel this time ;)

Dr4g

Personally, to me it is not really worth the effort as most of it was reef gold and not much of that either.
Hell of a lot of quartz out there.
Head west young man, head west. :D

Cheers
Brad...

Dr4gul3 said:
Hey guys, So I have been twiddling my thumbs of late, and when I really have not much to do I have a look around my local area (mt coot tha state forest) for the old gold mines from the late 1800s. I'm particularly interested in a bit of land north of the Enoggera Reserve. I was wondering if anybody has had a poke around the area, and whether it would be worth taking a drive out there and bringing home a sample to wash..

I'm guessing the general consensus would be to just get a sample and have a look :p, but I'm just wondering if anybody else has had any luck?

I did read the shafts the old timers were sinking were quite deep like 70 - 100 meters. but I also read that a bloke found some alluvial in a gully nearby, so I figure I could go have a look in some of the water courses?

Thoughts?

Don't know anything about that area but would like to check sometime, I live in Deception Bay, and am getting back into going for a pan, was thinking of Gympie and down that way for a look haven't even got a pan yet, but soon will have.

Dr4gul3 said:

Thoughts?

Had a mate check it out years ago and apparently there's homes there now.
You would be better off trying anywhere downstream from behind the Conondale race course or Nanango where there is still gold left in conglomerate.