Electric / Cordless / Battery Powered Chainsaw recommendations

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Electric tools run off 240v, you have to plug them into a power point, or a gennie.

Redfin said:
Electric tools run off 240v, you have to plug them into a power point, or a gennie.

And anything with a battery or battery pack is battery powered.

The Stihl and Husqvarna battery powered saws are pretty powerful (they spin the chain faster than the equivalent petrol units) light units and will sort you out for smaller timber. Yeah they come at a price but looked after will last you many years. As for their performance I haven't used any brand but know plenty of arborists who have sold their small petrol saws and bought the battery powered saws. They use a battery pack for longer run times while climbing so unless you plan to cut heaps of wood what ever you buy a few batteries will sort your needs, while out bush you will need a genset or inverter to charge batteries unless they have a 12v option. The most important thing is keeping your chain sharp and knowing how to :Y:

I ment battery pack chainsaw r beautiful no noise when u get up into stihl and huski battery operated chainsaws there 36v but others 18v more power more run time

The best part of a battery powered brushless chainsaw is no fuel to mix or carry, hence no smell in the car.
Also very little noise, you could use one within a caravan park.
Everyone will chip in with their own brand preference.
You can't get a Carlton supporter to barrack for the Pies, nor Holden for Ford etc.
Do your own due diligence, a great piece of equipment to have in your CAMPING kit, however, if
you need to go out and get a trailerload of wood, bring out the "real" chainsaws.

I just got the Stihl saw last week, it is brilliant. Cuts really well and while testing it out I was able to cut redgum branches about 25cm diameter with no effort. You need to let the saw do the cutting and can not put pressure on but it is so light, quiet and no vibration. My wife had a go and now she will not give it back, she uses it around home to cut up smaller stuff to make it fit in the fire. I got it for carrying in the car, only need bar oil and the battery only dropped down 1 light after about an 1hr cutting. So looks like the battery will last a few hours.
I can see I will be fairly lazy now and not get the petrol saw out at home unless it is really big stuff.
cheers
Adrian

As an aside from cutting wood, a battery saw when chain lubed with olive oil, is handy for cutting up animal carcasses too.

eg Cows, Goats, Pigs, Camels... etc

Very handy for sectioning them down the spine.

In the interest of obtaining meat for consumption.

:cool:

AJH1,roughly what sort of money for the Stihl and what size blade ? Does it need 240 v to charge the battery pac ?
I like Stihl products one of my Farm bosses is over twenty years old and still cutting wood,10 pulls on the rip cord to get the old girl to fire up but still cuts like a ripper !
Cheers Crushed

I had a Farm Boss, great machine, but when my stuff was sent up here by my ex the Farm Boss didn't come with it. That and a few thousand photos taken on a European holiday. Been there but no proof of it. :mad:

Crushed said:
AJH1,roughly what sort of money for the Stihl !
Cheers Crushed

About $240 for a 4ah battery.
About $230 for a charger [240v]
Then the saw, so nearly a grand.
1561628510_capture.jpg

This is the one I have, very happy with it.

1561628652_capture.jpg

Greenhornet_au said:
As an aside from cutting wood, a battery saw when chain lubed with olive oil, is handy for cutting up animal carcasses too.

eg Cows, Goats, Pigs, Camels... etc

Very handy for sectioning them down the spine.

In the interest of obtaining meat for consumption.

:cool:

Yep, my Stihl 140 has been used to do that.

Rob P.

Crushed said:
AJH1,roughly what sort of money for the Stihl and what size blade ? Does it need 240 v to charge the battery pac ?
I like Stihl products one of my Farm bosses is over twenty years old and still cutting wood,10 pulls on the rip cord to get the old girl to fire up but still cuts like a ripper !
Cheers Crushed

The saw was $459 120c model, with charger and battery. Was lucky when wife purchased, salesman couldn't find battery for it so gave her the bigger battery for same price. Need 240v to charge the battery, my car has a built in invertor that I can plug it into and charge. Has a 12inch bar. I must say I love using it, no vibrations or noise.

Thought I would finish this post with my purchase,finally ! After much deliberation I purchased a Stihl MS170 $249.00 brand new .(check them out great value) I trialled the Makita 36v and the AEG 18v both cut some fairly serious pieces of wood, black wattle ,dead for 5 years ,approx 6-8" in diameter . Run time I reckon about twenty to twenty five minutes before recharge needed .So the electric saws would do want I wanted in the way of campfire wood collecting and pruning.
Price wise AEG with no spare battery $400 Makita over $600 again no spare battery . The decider came in the way of recharging .Connecting up to my caravan's 12v system to recharge I found I needed at least 300 watts to recharge the batteries. I only have a 120 watt inverter . These battery powered saws will do the work no problem . But after factoring in the higher purchase price plus upgrading to a 300 watt ,perhaps even 500watt inverter the hassle of bringing some two stroke oil and petrol isn't that great . I'm also trialling some fuel stabiliser so if anyone is interested I'll report back on that .Electric saws will do the the job easily but at a cost .
I hope this is of benefit to others
Cheers Crushed

Aldie sold some time ago the jigsaw with quite sizable blades. It looks like for small pieces of wood they ought to be quite good. It is a 20V thing with 6 amp battery. I bought one, just because it was cheap and seemed useful for camping and prospecting in the bush. I intend to use mostly a rocket stove for cooking and fire. The rocket stove is very fuel efficient, can use a reject wood, small twigs, even pail. Normally uses quite thin branches. Did anyone get that 20V jigsaw and tried it ion the real camping conditions? So far, I didn't manage yet to move on with my travel plans. That's why am asking, just curious. So far, I'm still stacked waiting for some ordered supplies, before I move on.

Latest posts