Dry as a dead dingo's ******

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day

Highbanking at Tambaroora out of the only puddle available and my spray bar is blocking up with leeches getting through the pump. Dryest I've seen it for awhile

Cheers

Chimpy

Leaches, hate those little buggers......time to head the couple of extra ks and set up on the Turon me thinks. ;)

G'day Wal

Only had Fri, Sat, Sun for a quick reccy of a private property near Mudgee. Effing useless so ducked out the extra 70km to Hillend. Bad call due to the lack of rainfall but would have moved to Coles Bridge to finish off our hole if we had time.

Cheers

Chimpy

I have a strainer basket like this, on my suction hose, problem I had was pebbles would pass trough and plug my spray bar, so I cut a piece of copper screen, approximately a #12, and soldered it over the area with the holes in it. Problem solved.

1386420106_images.jpg

Not wrong about being as dry as around here. Pretty much any minor creek is completely dry & even major waterways are drying out, apart from those downstream from dam systems.
Even the Turon was looking pretty poor last time I was there a few weeks ago & have heard the Bridle Track crossing is nearly dry.
Shame about the private property! You would think that if gold was found there before you should do ok unless it was deep. I know a lot of mullock heaps around here have been flattened or removed so it can make things a bit harder too.

G'day

My mates came up with the private property but aren't the best at doing their research. It had some old workings but they were into a lead too deep for us to get at these days. You are right about most of the mullock heaps, nearly all gone. A bit of a show in each pan but not enough to warrant a days hard yakka. It's a pity about the lack of rain, we've had so bloody much just to the north of these areas and they've missed the lot :(
Wish I'd hit the Turon as there is one place in particular that can only be worked when she's almost dry and i've been waiting just over two years for the right conditions. If the dry keeps up I'll head out there just after christmas for a look.
1386540006_tambaroora.jpg

Cheers

Chimpy

G'day

It's shed monster made from everything from a beerkeg, washing machine barrel, scooter wheel, motorbike wheel gaurd......about a third of it is hand fabricated from scratch.
It has 2 counter-rotating trommel barrels and sorts wash into three sizes: big stuff comes out a side shute and the rest goes through 2 sluice trays.
Massively over-engineered and weighs a tonne but boys will be boys and many late night shed sessions went into it. My lightweight higbanker is set up next to it and processes only 25% slower for less than a tenth of the price and a fraction of the weight. It does raise a few eyebrows and attracts many guesses as to what it is when driving through counrty towns. The last bloke to wander over thought it had something to do with hot air balloning :D

Cheers

Chimpy

Chimpy said:
G'day

It's shed monster made from everything from a beerkeg, washing machine barrel, scooter wheel, motorbike wheel gaurd......about a third of it is hand fabricated from scratch.
It has 2 counter-rotating trommel barrels and sorts wash into three sizes: big stuff comes out a side shute and the rest goes through 2 sluice trays.
Massively over-engineered and weighs a tonne but boys will be boys and many late night shed sessions went into it. My lightweight higbanker is set up next to it and processes only 25% slower for less than a tenth of the price and a fraction of the weight. It does raise a few eyebrows and attracts many guesses as to what it is when driving through counrty towns. The last bloke to wander over thought it had something to do with hot air balloning :D

Cheers

Chimpy

beautiful . sounds like it would bring out some jealousy in those guys that built the space shuttle

i have plans on paper for a trommel that has two sluices , one for <6 mm fines and one for 6 mm - 25 mm but none of the sophisticated space shuttle counter-rotating orbiter business you have there.

awesome

does the Guinuess Book of Records have a section for shed monsters ?

Too funny Chimpy , Ive seen these monstrousities that take an hour to carry & put together , only to fail after 10 minutes running , but at least it works :eek:

Latest posts