Double and triple check the mat

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As most of you know from my Intro post, I spent the last few days at Tuena with Dad.

Well on our last clean out of the trip, I did the good old trapped nugget check on the matting before putting it back in the tray and found a speck or 2 in the top few inches. One in particular was quite large so we gave that area extra attention with the hose.

I went back over to Dads today to unpack the 4x4 since it was raining when we got home yesterday and I decided to give the now dry mat a second look over.
The same little piece of gold that I had found the day before was still stuck there so I picked out what I could find, turned the mat over in the sluice and gave it a few mighty thumps to release the stuck material.

I panned what had fallen out and there would have been 8-10 pieces of colour in the pan not including the 5 pieces that I picked out by hand.
I know its not much but that was after only running for 2 hours in a good area. I wouldn't like think what was caught after a few days. My misses also had fun trying to pick the gold out and I even think I smelt a little gold fever coming out.

I now know why Goldrocs said to scrap the stock mat that comes with the unit and but the curly rubber door matting from Bunnings.

glad you found some gold on your trip :) Bob always dries his mat out in the sun for a few days then turns it over & hits it with something hard & washes what ever dirt come out. You will get it all that way. I bought him a couple of mats made from the 'curly stuff' from Aldi & they are beauties. :rolleyes:
PS did you see Bob & Dave out there?

cheers

franma :)

We ran into Dave and he gave us some exceptional advice which resulted in more gold than I ever expected to see with the current knowledge we had. Also a few hints on modifying the highbanker. He has the same one we have but modified to the max.
Not sure about Bob though.

hahaha you would know if you had met him :rolleyes: he & Dave work together sometimes. Our van is on the rise above the common

ranma :)

ranma said:
hahaha you would know if you had met him :rolleyes: he & Dave work together sometimes. Our van is on the rise above the common

When you say above the common, is that over the creek through the gate.
That's where we were camping. Just below where Dave had his tent.

yes we are up on the hill a wee bit. Dave leaves his trailer there when he goes to Sydney :rolleyes:

ranma

no I didn't go last week Bob went on his own. He is coming home to get me on Thursday to go out for the group gathering :rolleyes: see you if you are there this weekend

Latest posts