Dolly pot and pestle

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering what makes a good dolly pot and pestle for crushing rock that has gold in it . All tips much appreciated.

A stake driver from Bunnings
1593082569_stake_driver.jpg

$14

Then from bunnings, a Hex Hd Bolt M20 x 200mm galv @ around $12

Then some clear plastic tube also from Bunnings to put on the thread. (the bit you hold)

Use the hex head to break up the rock. Yes it's small, but cheap. If the rock is too big, put it on a hard surface and on a small tarp or even newspaper, give it a belt with a heavy hammer until the bits fit.

I went this way as it's easy to cart in the caravan and is not too heavy. OK for the odd rock, but a bigger pot might be the go if it's a regular thing. :)

You want it tall enough so rocks don't jump out the top and you want the whacker long enough and heavy enough so you can sit comfortably for an extended period. Pads for your feet help to keep it steady.
You want to reduce the rock to powder.

3djZ4v5.jpg

Nice Tan lines there MT.... :)

Mine was, An old Medical Oxygen bottle... Cut in half, cut a ring off scrap bit, and weld onto bottom bit for a stand.. And an old axle cut down for the Thumper bit...
Was good, Till someone stole it... :mad:

Now I can't get another one... CIG or BOC won't give me one now... :/

That's a great dolly pot Condor... :Y:

LW

As tuna said tall enough so the rocks don,t fly out the top, my wackers a 1 1/2" by 40" bolt from the mill i work at,i cut the thread of it to make it more comfortable on the hands ,i crush down to about 1" in size then use the gold rats hand crusher to finish the sample off ,the hand crusher is a hell of a lot quicker
1593126447_img_0146.jpg
1593126468_img_0147.jpg

madtuna said:
You want it tall enough so rocks don't jump out the top and you want the whacker long enough and heavy enough so you can sit comfortably for an extended period. Pads for your feet help to keep it steady.

https://i.imgur.com/3djZ4v5.jpg

JEEZUS, those toe nails could be used to carve up a camel mate (from the wife)

AND could you send me some sunglasses for those ankles too, at least we could see you walking around in the dark with those 'neon' socks!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re the dolly, I can't help thinking an old bottle Jack would make a good starting point??

Greenhornet_au said:
madtuna said:

AND could you send me some sunglasses for those ankles too, at least we could see you walking around in the dark with those 'neon' socks!

The old toe nails are at the far end of the body...out of sight out of mind. But not wanting to offend your misses I gave them a bit of a trim. :D

uRth93E.jpg

madtuna said:
Greenhornet_au said:
madtuna said:

The old toe nails are at the far end of the body...out of sight out of mind. But not wanting to offend your misses I gave them a bit of a trim. :D

https://i.imgur.com/uRth93E.jpg

Nothing like a 9" trim MT... Better trim them soon or you may trip over them... :)

You must have a use for them tho, the rest are nice and neat... :8

LW...

Latest posts