DIY vent for a drinking water Jerry can.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Someone here will have a good idea....

I have a 20L plastic Jerry can with a push-pull pump to get the water out. When the water comes out the Jerry collapses.

I was thinking of a nice Gore-tex screw in vent but they are $$ for what they are. Next thought was a small drip irrigation sprinkler fitting, something I can drill and tap a neat hole to fit.

Any ideas on something nice to use for a vent that might keep out bugs and dirt?

jerry.jpg

Just unscrew the tap a little bit and no more problem.

Well I guess that would work. It takes a bit of force to work the pump so that may cause issues. Maybe just cutting a section out of the seal in the lid cap would work just as well.
Cheers

Well I guess that would work. It takes a bit of force to work the pump so that may cause issues. Maybe just cutting a section out of the seal in the lid cap would work just as well.
Cheers
Will leak while travelling if you cut seal.
Just open the cap a whisker, that won't affect the pump.

Just open the cap a whisker, that won't affect the pump.

My problem is I fitted the pump into the cap and the tap and spout turn with the cap. I have to lift the whole jerry out of the holder to rotate the cap.
Thanks

Perhaps not perfect for this application but this is what I use to vent all my tanks.

Filter.jpg

Easy, cheap, easy to replace an keeps all ants and dust out.

Mrs M just drove my new mini campr vehicle home last week. At this stage it's bare van but I intend to fit it out real soon. I'm using some fittings out of a previous camper that have been sitting in a container for years. These items will have an influience on the ovrall design but I already own the stuff so it'll save money and still do the job.

As we already have a tank or the water supply I will most likely use a plastic tank with very light air pressure supplied rather than draw the water with a pump.

Someone here will have a good idea....

I have a 20L plastic Jerry can with a push-pull pump to get the water out. When the water comes out the Jerry collapses.

I was thinking of a nice Gore-tex screw in vent but they are $$ for what they are. Next thought was a small drip irrigation sprinkler fitting, something I can drill and tap a neat hole to fit.

Any ideas on something nice to use for a vent that might keep out bugs and dirt?
Micro spray from Bunnings

Water.jpg

Another simple solution could be an irrigation type bush say M/F 15mm x 10mm or even a nipple M/M 15mm x 15mm or smaller.
https://www.perthirrigation.com.au/listProduct/POLY+THREADED+FITTINGS/POLY+BUSHDrill hole to tightly screw it in with some sealant (won't be in water but could use food grade if required). Then use a 10mm plug to screw out when pumping for M/F bush fitting or a cap to screw off for M/M nipple fitting.
https://www.perthirrigation.com.au/listProduct/POLY+THREADED+FITTINGS/POLY+NIPPLEhttps://www.perthirrigation.com.au/listProduct/POLY+THREADED+FITTINGS/POLY+CAP

Latest posts