DIY Backpack Sluice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

After taking a look at a few of the designs online for "Backpack Sluices" that are commercially available, I am going to have a crack at putting one together myself as we have all of the equipment and materials at work to produce one for next to nothing.

What would you recommend to line the bottom with, I was thinking of the ribbed rubber matting from Clark Rubber (2.5-3mm stuff) with three 15mm riffles spaced evenly in the top two thirds. Is it necessary to put a fabric such as "Miners Moss" or outdoor carpet?

using the rubber matting you have to careful the flow rate is not to high otherwise you will blow the gold out the mat and sluice

Hi Warrior707, thanks for that info.

Would it be better to put the rubber matting in the first 1/3 of the sluice and 10mm high expanded aluminum mesh for the remaining 2/3?

I use that rubber matting in the top of my banker. As warrior mentioned it doesnt hold gold long, but its great to see what is in each shovel you put into the sluice.

Buy some miners moss or the plastic moss from bunnings ( no backing ) as it works ok with expanded mesh on top.

If your really keen, buy a square of bunnings rubber checkerplate flooring and look whats on the underside. A nice rectangle pattern that works very well in a sluice as well. Not bad for $20

AtomRat said:
Buy some miners moss or the plastic moss from bunnings ( no backing ) as it works ok with expanded mesh on top.

Could you please post link or photo of the Bunnings moss???
Thanks AR

what are you using in the way of water flow just the river/stream or some kind of pump as this is what determines the riffle/matting setup

Met a fella up at Eldorado and all he was running in his highbanker was that rubber checkerplate upside down - seemed to be doing the job alright.

Latest posts