Deus & Racer 2 finds for 2016

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldpick

Chris Johnson
Reaction score
Time to start a new topic for my 2016 finds, may as well combine both Etrac & Deus finds in the one place for a change.

Tonight the Etrac was dusted off for a park run to reacquaint myself with its operation, mainly in preparation for some future beach detecting. Still mopping up in this park, with a few good targets lying around, though goldies are fast becoming a rarity here. Pre-decimals include 1928 half hp, 1962, 1917, 1919 pennies, and a lone 1948 sixpence. :)

1452018378_img_20160106_043013.jpg

1452018396_img_20160106_043036.jpg

mate i would be absolutely stoked with a hunt like that, well done.

i got a fifty centa like that chewed up one too. im still trying to get my pre dec though :(

Etrac is the detector I saw a bloke swinging my way. The disc in them didn't seem to pick up boyylecaps and pull tabs, are they prone to miss some targets from this? Great hunt again goldpick for 2016 3 pennies always a wind :D

You will get yours numpty mate haha its probably under your feet ;)

AtomRat said:
Etrac is the detector I saw a bloke swinging my way. The disc in them didn't seem to pick up boyylecaps and pull tabs, are they prone to miss some targets from this? Great hunt again goldpick for 2016 3 pennies always a wind :D

did you glue one to my shoe :D

Nice to see the PDs turning up, and a nice little silver too.
looking like it's gunna be a great 2016 for you Gp. :D

AtomRat said:

Not a huge fan of running gobs of discrimination on the Etrac, especially in junky ground. I'd rather let my eyes and ears do that job and just run with minimal iron discrimination. Also depends which type of bottlecap you are knocking out, some fall awefully close to 50% florin and shilling ID's. With single digit difference between some good and bad targets, I reckon it's just too risky leaving certain targets in the ground - ie.last night I had 2c read 11:44 & 12:45 on separate occasions. :)

Coinballs said:
Off to a good start, how do you plan on setting it up at the beach?

Open screen, knock out some high tone iron falsing if required, manual sensitivity and deep, nothing out of the ordinary. Sometimes I will just leave sensitivity on +3 auto if just scanning the beach for recent drops (or sick of listening to the chatter). :)

Goldpick said:
Not a huge fan of running gobs of discrimination on the Etrac, especially in junky ground. I'd rather let my eyes and ears do that job and just run with minimal iron discrimination. Also depends which type of bottlecap you are knocking out, some fall awefully close to 50% florin and shilling ID's. With single digit difference between some good and bad targets, I reckon it's just too risky leaving certain targets in the ground - ie.last night I had 2c read 11:44 & 12:45 on separate occasions. :)

I agree it is a gamble using too much discrimination, unless you are targeting goldies only (or mainly) - which I tend to do. Even so, some of the older soft drink screw tops hit in the goldie range, which can be a pain depending on the sight.

Those coppers are in good shape by the way.

AtomRat said:

I find the standard coin program the 3030 comes with is ample discrim for really trash infested sites, the Etrac standard coin program is essentially the same pattern. You just need to swing slowish and evenly and you won't get any iron or miss many good targets.

I always get pulltabs and aluminium screwcaps, I can totally avoid them but then you risk losing a lot of good targets.

Nice hunt GP, well done. Spot on about good targets overlapping with junk or less desirable targets, just a fact of detecting. Iron is easy to ditch totally though thankfully. :)

My depth was a bit compromised last night due to emi, run it in manual sensitivity and you get a lot of unwanted feedback, even at low levels. Running in auto sensitivy +3, it ran very quite, though you could see the Etrac was dropping the sensitivty way low to cope, though still good enough to reach the deeper predecs.

The coppers are nearly always in good condition here, well drained sandy soils seems to be kind to them.

It's still worth digging the bottle caps, even though I unearthed 14 of them, that was spread out over a few hours, so not much of an inconvenience in the scheme of things. I am a very slow operator when it comes to using the etrac, especially considering I am both gridding and trying to weed out every last signal from the ground, and the weight also tends to dictate the pace anyway.

Probably should have taken the small SEF soil along with me for such areas, but as usual I forgot to grab it. :|

Back from my club detect at Robe in SA, didn't do too well due to large crowds occupying the good areas of the beaches, plus a lot of sand with buried seaweed didn't promise to hold many good finds. Should be much better in winter when a few beach cuts are evident, and the sandhills also get cut away. PA members Sheryl and I had a go at a few other areas inland after giving up on the beach, and only managed to find a 1c & 2c haven with a few coin spills, still a bit of fun. I was meant to head out last night when the crowds had disappeared off the beach, instead I fell asleep after a a rather energy sapping day. :p

On the way home I spotted an old hall and had a detect with the Etrac, only managed a 1951 hp & penny, with lightning close by cutting my trip short. I might head back there at some stage, as the Etrac wasn't the best amongst a lot of buried junk, will be keen to give the Deus run, as it should prove more suitable.

Depsite the lack of finds, the weather was fantastic, no swell, and the sea was like glass. :)

1452477551_img_20160111_121058.jpg

1452477575_img_20160111_121128.jpg

1452477612_img_20160111_121152.jpg

Great to see that pennies come out the beach sometimes like this too :) can't wait as I may be heading there tomorrow with the fam ( if the weather does what the forecast sais...)

What's the goldie with the two women? May be a goldie $1 I havnt come across before
Nice amount of signals though Goldpick!

AtomRat said:
Great to see that pennies come out the beach sometimes like this too :) can't wait as I may be heading there tomorrow with the fam ( if the weather does what the forecast sais...)

What's the goldie with the two women? May be a goldie $1 I havnt come across before
Nice amount of signals though Goldpick!

The pre-decs were from the surrounds of a country hall on the way home, no chance of finding them on the beach at the moment. The $1 is a Centenary of Womens Suffrage, can't say that I've seen too many around either - only 10,007000 minted. :D

Barely worth putting this Etrac hunt up, though I snuck down to a boat ramp whilst in Adelaide for a bit to try out the new SS scoop in the mud, and the pro-pointer AT underwater. All worked very well, heaps of rocks to deal with and would have been a pain to detect without a solid scoop. The pro-pointer worked fine underwater, had no issues picking up targets in salt water, just had to retune it under water to cancel out the effects of the salt. A few sinkers kept me entertained for a while, not too many coins, though didn't expect much after hitting this spot hard last year. :)

Also will put in a worthy mention for the T-Reign retractable lanyard, what a great piece of quality kit, despite the reasonably hefty price. I should have bought one of these long ago, especially considering I am walking around with a rather expensive pinpointer on my hip. My last coiled lanyard eventually broke, and didn't realise it till I got home, so lucky not to have lost the pinpointer considering I am usually out at night. :eek:

1452845974_img_20160115_183633.jpg

1452845997_img_20160115_184533.jpg

Off to the Victorian coin hot spot for a detect with the Deus today, I ended up a bit dehydrated from digging in temps up in the 30's, though it proved to be worth it in the end.

First couple of hours produced nothing much other than some lead targets and an Excelsior two hole button, moved back towards my car and hit a nice high tone and uneathered a pair of .925 silver slippers chained together.

I decided to head out into the paddocks and try around a few large gum trees that I missed out on last time, and found someone had been digging holes all around the base of the tree. I ran the Deus over the roughly filled holes, and looks like they gave up after excavating several gun cartridges. Not wanting to leave targets in the ground, I located the remaning cartridges, and was greeted by a mellow high tone under one of the remaing cartridges, an Edward VII 1902 sixpence in awesome condition. Seems that the cartridge was masking the 6p, so just goes to show you should dig all good targets, regardless of what they are.

Moved over to the next tree and worked my way around the base, picked up three shotgun cartridge ends, then was greeted by what could only be a tasty silver tone. After trying very carefully not to scratch the coin with the digger, out popped an 1883 young head Victorian shilling - pretty stoked on that one, and also in great condition!

I spent the rest of the time yacking to a couple of older ladies who were travelling around in their camper van, they were interested in both checking out my finds and having a look over the gear I was using. They seemed to be sold on the idea of having a go at detecting, so hopefully they will pop past the forum in the not too distant future. :)

1452937476_img_20160116_194251.jpg

1452937498_img_20160116_194317.jpg

1452937521_img_20160116_194339.jpg

1452937541_img_20160116_194358.jpg

1452937566_img_20160116_194417.jpg

1452937594_img_20160116_194446.jpg

1452937625_img_20160116_194144.jpg

1452937645_img_20160116_194128.jpg

1452937671_img_20160116_194205.jpg

1452937689_img_20160116_194226.jpg

Ahhh very nice GP, you had a great hunt. That Shilling is in really great condition, always amazes me how a coin can be in the ground that long and look like it was dropped yesterday. Theepence is in great condition also. Silver slippers look really old to me also.

I think you are right on the slippers, get anything at depth on this site and it usually has some good age to it. Nice of them to stamp .925 on both boots, nothing worse than finding jewellery with no hallmarks.

I've been averaging 2-3 coins a day on this site, good finds are very hard to come by without putting a fair bit of legwork in, so two silvers in an afternoon was a pretty good strike rate. :)

Latest posts