Detecting dam walls

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauly250

Paul T
Reaction score
hey

Has anyone tried detecting dam walls,the reason i ask in my area alot of dams are built in the middle of major drainage ways in valleys.

Bulldozers have been right down deep in the waterways and pushed all the dirt and rocks up from the bottom of the creek to form the dam wall.

A big dam where i live has tons of pink and dark grey quartz exposed on the dam wall where otherwise its not visable elsewhere.

just a thought

Paul T

Any earthworks that exposes deeper layers is worth a go in gold areas. People will detect new/regraded roads etc. so a dam wall could be worth trying especially run off areas? Thinking outside the square is key in areas that have been hit hard I reckon.

Thats a damn good idea,
It has been said that building a dam or 3 or even shifting a dam a few times is a cheap way of mining a property.
Gold bearing ground when found on a property is inevitably going to be richest in the same areas as water flows. If a bloke was to excavate that land in the low lying areas in an effort to build a dam, then it only stands to reason that running over it with a detector while building that dam would be a damn good idea.
Its a great idea to run your detector over dam walls but it is not a new idea and in the gold field areas it has most likely been done, but that doesn't mean they got it all.

Alot of properties werent touched too much in some areas as they were overly protected by wheat and sheep farmers.

And alot of the larger dams werent really built until modern machinery came into play.

It is very hard these days to build a dam ,you need all sorts of permission and usually cant be built in current waterways.Some
new farming areas wont allow any dams ,everybody has to share a comunal dam.

I first noticed the dam walls when i was working in the narrabri area on a coal mine,all heavy deposit materials were sitting on top of old dam walls.

I noticed this at home the other day ,though the area i live in was known for copper,just need a detector now.

Latest posts