detctor vs gps

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i am thinking about getting one of these "garmin GPSMAP 64" i would just like to know if it is going to affect my 4500 .if anyone has used one and had problems or not .or is there another gps that the 4500 gets along with better .

johno

they do but set your position then turn off I have an etrax and a gpsmap 96 and when my mate gets close his 4500 starts to get chattery but if they are turned off no problems hope that helps

Dunno about the map64 but i use a garmin 20x handheld with no effect at all with my 4500

I have both the gpsmap64s and GPX4500, GPS always sits in backpack along with mobile, epirb, pinpointer, etc. No interference problems at all.

I also have the Garmin 64s and 4500 and no problems at all . I have the GPS always hooked to the top of my harness .

all good then thanks very much peoples . the 64s seems to be quite popular over the 64 but more dollars dont know if i really need all the bells and whistles probably just make it harder to learn how to use still have to learn how to use the 4500 properly yet so i better not throw to much at my brain at once the 64 should hopefully do all i need actually the etrex probably would but i thought i would move up a notch or 2 .

johno

Same same 64s and no issues. Plenty of good free maps available also ;) Super tough little unit also .................. never leave home without it. :Y:

no interferance issues with the detector.....a sat phone can/will interupt your gps signal.
My advice is to pay the extra for a gps (like the map 64)...you wont need all the features but you prob won't outgrow the gps.
I find for most people it's better economics longer term.

Latest posts