Desperate for a find - Daylesford area!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

My partner and I are keen to get out for a fossick but I am unsure as to the right locations/methods used around the Daylesford area! I would like to find just about anything quartz crystal,zircon,garnet and so on. Any advice on how I can experience a little success?

Would love a nice piece of something to put into a cube display on the bedside and be proud of my own find.

thanks, Dan.

hey dmacha, PM me your email address and i can send you through a little something buddy. There is creeks around Daylesford I have limited information on. I get limited chances to get out but when i go and try the area I could give you a shout out. If your after some nice and easy quartz crystals the best place i have found is Elderado in ready creek I found heaps of large crystals albeit most heavily included. You can noodle them (see and pick them of the top of the ground) Take your pan though some good gold around there to. Another good investment is the gemstones in Victoria book by Dermot Henry from the Melbourne Museum has all locations you'd want to check out like the visa add Book=$30, information = Priceless.

1403161056_2014-06-19_16.36.18.png
I took home a bucket of concentrate and used a kitchen sieve today in the sunlight and come up with one small flake of gold and a heap of tiny gems! Really tired of squinting only to find a couple of specks :( not really after high quality, just a little sizeable color for the collection!

Hi all!

Heading to daylesford this weekend! Just wondering if anybody has some tips on locations where we can find some little gems? Thanks!

Search the forum for Daylesford, I'm 99% sure there are quite a few posts some with maps/direction to some previous member meet ups that resulted in both gold and gems.
Gumboots or waders may get you into some more productive areas if the recent rains have moved some dirt.

Seems like skimming this forum for clues and answers is just as tough as finding the gems themselves! Anybody out there that can point me in the right direction? It would be extremely appreciated. :eek:

There is the location that is good for gems and gold just out of Daylesford on the Midland Hwy, take the road out go over the 2 bridges Wombat Creek and Sailors Creek. Take the next left track it goes off on a angle to the Hwy. Continue on the track and take the next left track drive down this for about 500m till you pass under the power lines. After the power lines take the next left down to the creek you should find plenty of spots on the creek.
cheers db

Stephen Barnham does a Daylesford map book for about $20. Google it but it is for sale through Goldsearch at Dunolly (No - I am not associated with this business, although I do tend to drink a lot of their tea.) Stephen also does panning guides etc. Yes, there is a lot of stuff on the net to find on these places. There are numerous exploration reports, maps etc. Start with the State Library of Victorian-line.

Check out this scientific publication on gemstones.

http://australianmuseum.net.au/uploads/journals/17637/349_complete.pdf

Thanks db! We are after gems but anything will do really. Just something to do for a romantic day out. It would be a plus if we find something to keep for memories! Thanks again for the advice you are too kind. Will keep you posted on how we go :)

Ok so I decided to take a trip down to this spot today (semi 2wd accessible) had a little fossick around and didn't really find much :( not sure if I was looking in the right spot or if my method was wrong but it seems like I found more in the loddon river! Thanks again for the advice, hopefully I can tag along on a fossicking trip where I can learn some of the tricks.

Dmycha14 said:
Ok so I decided to take a trip down to this spot today (semi 2wd accessible) had a little fossick around and didn't really find much :( not sure if I was looking in the right spot or if my method was wrong but it seems like I found more in the loddon river! Thanks again for the advice, hopefully I can tag along on a fossicking trip where I can learn some of the tricks.

Scratch that! Went through some buckets of gravel I bought home yesterday and found these!! Thanks guys! Will be going back soon.
1404709073_2014-07-07_14.55.19.jpg

Well done, looks typical of what Daylesford gives up .... not sure I've seem many posts with larger specimens BUT, there's usually heaps like what you have there.
Vial full will look real good and, not unusual to get the odd small piece of gold amongst them.
Happy hunting.

Latest posts