Delegate & Bendoc area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Deer Hunter

Rob Graham
Reaction score
Hi All
I am taking a trip out to Delegate & Bendoc area with my finished Walbanker for a test run, there are a few old gold mines out there some were?
I will be meeting up with a friend who lives there, so it should be a good day!! I will take a few photos for when i get my ten posts up, I will send some in.

G'Day

There is a small book about the history of one of the miners there that I read many years ago. See if your friend or anyone else knows what it is - there cannot be many. It talkes about all the mnes. The the other things I know about that area is you can walk over the land without touching the ground for all the tiger snakes in the area. So what your back. Apparently not even crossng the creek will deter them - they will swim after you. Up on the Erridundah (spelling??) plateau there is supposed to be good gold but the bush is thick and also thick with leaches so plenty of rid is advised and also take some salt to get them off you if they evade the Rid.

Araluen

Thanks Araluen
I will keep my eye out for the snakes and the book, I have been looking for a mine over into Combienbar and Errinundra area, I think I'am on the right track now,had another look at Google maps, the story is this old fella comes up from Melbourne for a few days and goes into the mine and digs out all this dirt & rock, fills up the back of his truck & trailer and takes it back to melbourne puts it through his crusher and ends up with about $2000 worth of gold.

Rob

G'Day

That is the sort of mine worth looking for. Have you tried the Vic department of mines site - it has some pretty good info on all the mines in the state. Also have a look for the mining heritage and history sites. I don't have the link with me at home so can't help but do a searth under mining + heritage or history in Victoria and you should get to it.

If you can get rock out of an old mine with that sort of grade then you may be better off not crushing it but keeping it a speciment material. Good visible gold in a sample is worth more that the value of the contained gold.

Araluen

Been prospecting there a few times now. Back creek at bendoc but water is difficult and there is too much mud for a highbanker. Puddles well.

We had a go with the Walbanker at Bendoc, put about 10 buckets through and got some very fine gold, I was very happy with the way every thing worked, I mite have to make another spray bar with less holes to give me more pressure but other than that all worked well.
Then we went to the Crage, same thing very fine gold. I also got onto a book, called Mountains of Memories A life in Australia's past, it has a bit on the gold in the area and talks about the life of Jack Mustard the book is written by Martin Thomas.

The mine is just out of Bendoc called the Star Mine, had a population of about 500 people, a lot of Chinese to, not much left now after a big fire went through and burnt every thing, there is mine shafts every were some are very deep to.
The book you are talking about is called Mountains Of Memories A life in Australia's past by Martin Thomas talks about the life of an old timer called Jack Mustard, didn't see any snakes.

Rob
SWright said:
G'Day

There is a small book about the history of one of the miners there that I read many years ago. See if your friend or anyone else knows what it is - there cannot be many. It talkes about all the mnes. The the other things I know about that area is you can walk over the land without touching the ground for all the tiger snakes in the area. So what your back. Apparently not even crossng the creek will deter them - they will swim after you. Up on the Erridundah (spelling??) plateau there is supposed to be good gold but the bush is thick and also thick with leaches so plenty of rid is advised and also take some salt to get them off you if they evade the Rid.

Araluen

i am going to revive this one
it was asked about a book of the area the book is called
Mountains of Memories
its the story of Jack Mustard (off ebay approx $23.00) a real old bushie got his first gold at 12 from memory
he found gold and tells you where if you know the area (i was born there and for 21 years spent a lot of time in the forest)
all of the places he talks about in his book i know where they are (except one but i am working on that) and will be going down there come summer
has anyone been down around that area of late
last time i was in the area i got some good colour in the pan

Hey 7.62 , by Summer everyone will be there. Harden up mate, put on the tracks daks and get into it (says he who lives in Qld) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Wish I had your knowledge mate on that area 30 years ago.
I cannot wait for the continuation of this story and I sincerely wish you the best of luck in your venture.
Kind Regards
Mackka ;)

I am very close to the Mustard family.
One of the same Family was best Man at my Wedding.
The Birds young fella. :Y: :Y:

No, But it is now on the bucket list.
I did hear that one was written.
Both the Bird and Molly are gone now.

Latest posts