Deepest gold find with sdc2300

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GREENHORN said:
Got a question to throw out to all forum members, have a budget of about $3, 500 dollars, what detector should I be aiming for, given I have little experience, given I am only interested in searching for nuggets not treasure or coins? Most likely search area central west NSW. Appreciate all advice

At that price I think the GPX4500 would be the most versatile. The SDC2300 would be the easiest to use. Both great detectors that find plenty of gold.

isolation said:
GREENHORN said:
Got a question to throw out to all forum members, have a budget of about $3, 500 dollars, what detector should I be aiming for, given I have little experience, given I am only interested in searching for nuggets not treasure or coins? Most likely search area central west NSW. Appreciate all advice

At that price I think the GPX4500 would be the most versatile. The SDC2300 would be the easiest to use. Both great detectors that find plenty of gold.

Tough Question, But with all these hot Coils coming out it is only a matter of time before the GPX is snapping at the heals of the SDC, I would have to go with the GPX 4500 first, errr I think,

John.

I'd go the SDC ....................... because you would probably at current prices be able to purchase it for a $1000 under the 4500 cost and with no coils needed to buy afterwards no further costs, secondly will compliment any other detector you may decide to purchase in the future, complete machine 100% water proof, fool proof operation and probably the best machine for holding resale value. You could re sell it in a flash if you decide to do so.
As for a 45 snapping at the heals of an SDC personally I don't think will ever happen. I can dig gold from the ground that the SDC detects that a 45 even with Evo coils cannot even see when the found gold is placed on or under the coil ;) Until told by those who know I had actually thought the 45 was broken :D but no it just can't do what the SDC can and does all day long. I have a $300 pin pointer which I wish I had never brought as I simply never use it as the SDC even does that job better
The best part with the SDC is as long as you go to an area with gold you won't go home without some and that does wonders for the frame of mind no matter how small that little golden piece is that you hold in your hand ;)
Again your money and indeed your call and I'm sure you will enjoy both no matter what your decision

GREENHORN said:
Thanks, isolation, ridge runner and bogger for your advise will take on board cheers

No worries, just remember the 45 can grow with you and the SDC is what it is and is great at finding the tiny bits, But as for the 45 coils are getting hotter so anything is possible,

John.

Wishfull said:
I thought the 4500 was around the same price as the sdc mind you you then probably go out and buy another coil or two

Yep, buying coils is fun, makes everyday like Christmas. lol.

John.

I did a short course on using the SDC 2300 and the emphasis was on how to sweep, and that was low, slow and the swing pattern were the important elements , criss crossing the swing path takes a lot longer to cover an area, that is, half the coil width, but if you want results , let the coil do the work, the other pointer was, listen very carefully to the feedback, the slightest and he meant the slightest change in pitch could be that nugget,
haven't found any nuggets yet , but found enough lead shot to reload a 12 gauge lol.

I hear that a lot about the slightest change in pitch but I am still unsure of what people mean by this
The machine occasionally skips a beat so to speak but I don't know if this is normal or not
When I find lead it makes that soft squeal but I don't know if that's the sound people are talking about or not ?
Cheers

Gaz&Al said:
I hear that a lot about the slightest change in pitch but I am still unsure of what people mean by this
The machine occasionally skips a beat so to speak but I don't know if this is normal or not
When I find lead it makes that soft squeal but I don't know if that's the sound people are talking about or not ?
Cheers
Listen for any change in the threshold noise and if repeatable give it a dig

Bjay said:
Gaz&Al said:
Cheers
Listen for any change in the threshold noise and if repeatable give it a dig

bingo if it repeats it over and over from different directions no matter how small/quite the noise is, its something it may be junk but its something.

My sdc has been falsing and being a right prick lately , but to tell the truth it has educated me to another level and taught me many tricks on pin pointing and guaranteeing its a target, not to mention frustrated the bejesus out of me , but all I need now is to see if minelab can make the sdc sensible again and I will have it real good :lol: .

If anyones a expert on the sdc when its carrying on like the devils inside it let me know as its a 3hr drive to the nearest dealer and I have checked every thing I can without opening the machine up .

Push the left hand button and wait about 50 seconds while it finds the best frequency for the area you are working. Then the green button 4 inches off the ground and move detector up and down. Then set the threshold to about 3

Do not open it up unless its out of warranty and you know you're doing.

Hope that helps I'm a bit bushed atm.

We continually hear about the small bits the SDC finds and a there is a general view being put that a GPX is necessary because the SDC doesn't hit larger targets. Can someone out there demystify this with a large find with the SDC. Unfortunately at the moment i can't debunk the story.

That story is a load of hogwash!
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12230&p=1
Where the GPX takes over is depth with the ability to change coils. With an 8" coil on any machine there will be a cut off point of depth/size. The SDC was obviously made for & is renowned for sniffing out the tiddlers but if a big lump is within the coil range it will scream for you to dig.
I know of other bigger bits too but unfortunately they weren't my finds so I can't post them.

Mate the SDC will detect big targets, whoever told you it won't is pulling your leg. Wave it over a coke can it will detect that at nearly a metre. Metal is metal.

Though yes a GPX will punch deeper than an SDC on medium to large gold without doubt, the SDC will still detect large nuggets that are shallow and within it's range. It will also detect finely disseminated gold that GPX's don't have a hope of detecting even if you were to rub it on the coil.

You just have to be lucky to find shallow large nuggets that an SDC can detect, most of the easy big shallow gold has already been found.

I'd go along with that. I was showing my mate who is a "Non detector" my sdc, he goes what's that some sort of toy. so I folded it out and he's like okay. Then he says turn it on then. I was in his shed, and I said it's going to to balls up ballistic mate because of the mesh in your shed floor... turn it on and lets just see. I did and it went nuts even if I waved it 4 feet off the shed floor. So then we went out to his front yard and he said my dogs have dug this yard up and I've raked it over so you won't find much at all. Every 2 feet it went nuts. To say he was impressed is an understatement. He won't buy one though because he just bought a big caravan.

Just saying. Yep it will pick it up if it's there. SCD is a Great machine if you dont want to dig 5 to 6 feet for FUGGOTS But then again big one's are down there.

Edit spelling again

Wishfull said:
Push the left hand button and wait about 50 seconds while it finds the best frequency for the area you are working. Then the green button 4 inches off the ground and move detector up and down. Then set the threshold to about 3

Do not open it up unless its out of warranty and you know you're doing.

Hope that helps I'm a bit bushed atm.

thanks for the tip but have tried it over and over , some days its good other days its bonkers . will have to get it checked.

Latest posts