Crevicing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new on this forum and to prospecting. I have recently relocated to Hervey bay. This has probably been covered in previous posts, but apart from Deep Creek is there anywhere else to crevice around a 400km radius from the Bay.

hi and welcome mate
1517474254_60.jpg

Thanks 7.62 marksman.

Great map. I hope this isn't too silly a question, but how do I work out what is a "go & a no go area". Do I drive to one of the dollar signs, find a creek, park my car & start crevicing or is that frowned upon.

I've watched videos where people are in rivers/creeks finding gold. I always think to myself are they on private land and they've gained permission or are they in absolute remote areas.

That is what you need to research
What is
national park no go area
State Forrest and private land
Someone on here will put some links up or advise you where to find the information you need

Hi 7.62marksman,

What database/program did you use to create this map for luvanuget?

Cheers,
Graham

Just called the mines department & asked if I was allowed to get in my car in Hervey Bay, drive to a nice looking creek & start crevicing without knocking on 50 doors looking for permission. She said she didn't know. I explained that the more I research the more confused I was, as some sources state that all waterways in Australia are not privately owned. Other sources talk about a 10 meter rule from the high water mark (excluding floods). And other sources talk about adjacent landowners owning 50% of the water way. A kayak forum I visited stated you can access creeks as long as you don't cross private land.

I explained that I knew about GPA areas & that Gympie had one with deep creek. I also explained that for my fist time crevicing I was actually hoping to get something (even a single spec) to motivate the grandson & myself to continue with this hobby. But I didn't want on our very first prospecting trip to be arrested. She was very nice, took my number & said she'd talk with her supervisor & get back to me on Monday.

The Mediocritist,

Thanks, the problem with the GPA areas is that they are all too far from Hervey bay except Deep Creek & as I mentioned for our first time out I'd actually like to locate something to motivate the grandson & myself to continue.

It will be interesting to hear what she has to say if she calls me Monday.

About 80km (as the crow flies) from the Bay is Glenbar & from what I researched that seems a nice area with some decent gold discoveries. It also has a few nice creeks possibly suited to some crevicing. Prior to travelling there I'd like to know if I can legally prospect or not. It all seems grey & vague with no one actually knowing.

Latest posts