Creswick and Wedderburn - Golden Triangle Newbie

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gold originates from where you find it, at least in proximity to its primary deposit. So the gold did not "travel" to Ballarat or Creswick but rather originally came from primary reef deposits in Ballarat and Creswick themselves.
The gold we detect today however may have mixed sources either from the original primary reef system or from a secondary source so that could put a little further distance into the equation. The weight of gold ensures that it is very difficult to move far at all by most natural measures.
We refer to alluvial gold as a secondary deposit either in deep leads covered by later alluvium or lava flows, shallow gullies that the early diggers exploited or even gold in the soil. Some refer to the latter as elluvial gold, but it is all part of the same process whereby gold sheds from a primary reefing source working its way by gravity to lower and lower levels into a secondary deposit.
Some secondary deposits are now elevated protected from erosion by a hard capping of cemented river gravels called conglomerate. These also can shed gold where their edges are exposed on hillsides but the gold is usually smooth and worn indicating it has come from a secondary deposit whereas gold shedding from a primary deposit close to its source will often show sharper characteristics and sometimes it is still attached to its quartz and is then known as a specimen.
As to where the gold in the primary source (quartz reefs) originated,, my understanding
is that it was was deposited by superheated and super pressurised metal and mineral rich hydrothermal fluids which were squeezed from their deep source associated with magma chambers.
These fluids flowed into and enlarged naturally occurring cracks, fissures and faults in the overlying rocks or forced passages along loosely bound strata. Tectonic forces have squeezed the rocks of Central Victoria into an almost vertical concertina like fold system, fracturing those rocks and made them particularly suitable for intrusion by those gold bearing hydrothermal fluids.
Once these superheated and super pressurised fluids reach a cooler zone where the temperature and pressures are just right (the goldilocks zone) deposition of the gold and other minerals takes place. An analogy would be the experiment we did in our school days growing crystals from a warm saturated solution of copper sulphate suddenly crystallised when the solution cooled enough.
One study in WA involved slicing through a quite large nugget to examine its internal crystallinity. That indicated a temperature of about 300 Celsius for its formation. Using the known temperature gradient of the earths crust of about 30 degrees rise per Km of depth that also gives an estimate of the depth at which the gold deposited (approx 10Km).
Looking at the goldfields today one may think that this process would take an almost immeasurable time to erode away the overlying rocks and expose the reefs, but the climate was much different then to what it is now for much of Australia's history.
65 millions years ago Australia was part of Antarctica and has moved through many climatic zones since to its present position providing opportunity for much wetter climates to increase erosional rates. Other factors are evidence of mountain uplift increasing erosion rates and also that the hard metamorphic slates we now see were at the bottom of a large sequence of sediment deposited in a deep ocean trough that would no doubt have been much softer in their uppermost unmetamorphised layers.
If we go back even earlier, before 370 million years ago but still after the rocks were deposited, there would not have even been trees or grasses on land to slow erosion by rains of unknown intensity. There would have been plenty of opportunity to erode the kilometres of rock necessary to expose the reefs on the surface.
As to whether the nuggets originated in the reefs or grew in situ in secondary deposits, whilst I have personally seen evidence that suggests that gold can grow in situ, I think that evidence does not favour the growth of large nuggets or even the smallest nuggets we now detect. There is good evidence that rich nuggetty gold forms in the quartz veins themselves and their growth is influenced by what are called indicator strata.
An interesting read is Bulletin no 9 of the Geological Survey of Victoria by W Bradford on the Dunolly Wedderburn goldfields. He had the advantage of inspecting many of the small rich nuggetty reefs when they were still open. His theory was that nuggetty gold forms in quartz veins when the movement of the gold bearing fluids was hindered or slowed (or possibly chemically influenced - a later theory) by intersection with thin iron rich strata allowing gold masses to grow in size. These thin lines were known as indicators and he noted that these were to be found right through the nuggetty goldfields he inspected. You can download the GSV memoirs and bulletins from Earth Resources Vic for free. It is however a large file nearing 1GB containing nearly 100 individual reports
If only I could identify an indicator at the surface that is where I would be looking, but I have never been able to do that.
PS. Above is my simplified view of a complex issue but always stand ready to be corrected by evidence pointing in another direction.

Last edited:

I recently visited a spot in NT where others had found multiple nuggets with the GPZ7000 and the SDC2300. I swung the GPX6000 over the same ground after they'd done their bit and it sounded like that on the 6000. When I investigated it more carefully I found that the area was scattered with small quartz and ironstone species. I picked up a handful and brought them home. When I dissolved the stone I was left with quite a few very sharp spiky little nuggets. If it was closer to home I'd have gone back and raked all those stones up and either dissolved them in caustic soda or put them through the crusher. I'm quite sure I'd ended up with a good haul of small gold nuggets.

Species2.jpg

This is a photo of the quartz species partly dissolved in hot caustic soda. After this I boiled them for another half hour until the quartz was gone.

You guys rock.

I've gotten so much knowledge and reading material it really has put me on the right path to finding my first ever piece of gold.

After going out for my first time to now I feel like I have a better understanding of what I'm looking for.

I cannot thank you enough, I have to now learn my detector which is a GM1000 and think I'll try and find a course to help me enhance my knowledge on reading it's noises to increase my chances.

Thank you so much everyone. I can't wait to show you my first piece of gold when I find it :)

James

"There would have been plenty of opportunity to erode the kilometres (10 vertical Km) of rock necessary to expose the reefs on the surface".
Thought I should justify my assumption above in an earlier post.
The uppermost layers of the uplifted sea floor sediments which now form the bed rock of the goldfields would have would have been much newer and softer than the older, deeper metamorphised layers. Those softer sedimentary layers would have been the first to be exposed to erosion when uplifted.
In nature they may be compared to the "Badlands" of South Dakota which are similarly uplifted sedimentary marine deposits but of much younger age. A study in 2003 put the yearly rate of erosion of the Badlands at around 2.5 cm per year.
Plugging in a few numbers,10Km of Badlands type sediment if sufficiently uplifted could be eroded away in as little as 4 million years.
Of course there are many other factors involved such as hardening and metamorphism of the deeper rocks, climatic variation, uplift rates etc but I think my assumption that there would have been plenty of time to erode 10 vertical kilometres of rock could be justified.

So a quick update.

I've been out a couple of times now (currently at Creswick holiday park until Friday) and I'm still yet to find gold.

I've been to Hamburg Hill, Lincoln's Gully, Wright's gully and detected all around.

I'm yet to head out to the plantations.

Still trying hard and going strong just waiting for mother nature to give me a small piece of gold.

Still researching everyday.

"Trying hard and going strong" is great, James, but the number of locations you mention has me thinking that you're probably moving too fast. That's easy to do when you're feeling keen, but wherever you go others have already been, so you need to search more thoroughly than they did.

Are you finding lots of shotgun pellets and tiny metal/wire fragments? If not, you could easily be walking over small gold.

Going to lots of places is what tourists do, successful prospectors - not so much. Pick a spot and spend the day there, then come back the next day, look at it with fresh eyes and then scour it again from a different angle, especially looking for rough areas that others may have skimmed over and fallen branches/rotten logs that could block access to (hopefully) undetected ground. Don't move on from there until you're an expert in that spot and can't even find any more tiny targets.

Good luck!

I've found lots of little iron pieces, could be screws, nails, fence etc. Some areas I've found absolutely nothing. I've been to 4 different locations (over about 24 hours of detecting) and I thought that was slow. But maybe I am going to fast.

Because I'm using a Gold monster I tend to stick to higher ground because it will be shallower, maybe I should move into the Gilly's more?

I feel like at this point I need to Meetup with a member who can show me how slow I should be going and the directions I need to look at. I still feel like I'm winging it half the time aha.

Slow is fine, but too slow may be even better! I've heard of detectorists who can't walk properly and just shuffle along, but are regularly picking up nuggets. It's not the distance you cover that matters so much as your coverage of the ground. That's what brings consistent results, especially nowadays when most gold found is pretty tiny. Using the small Gold Monster coil (if you aren't already), might help you to concentrate your focus.

Meeting up with more-experienced operators can be very helpful, if you're ready to learn from them. Failing that, if you haven't seen it already, this lengthy thread is well worth reading to get an idea of the types of place that tend to be favourable ground for nuggets:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/12-weeks-to-find-first-gold-persistence-pays.19429/

I've found lots of little iron pieces, could be screws, nails, fence etc. Some areas I've found absolutely nothing. I've been to 4 different locations (over about 24 hours of detecting) and I thought that was slow. But maybe I am going to fast.

Because I'm using a Gold monster I tend to stick to higher ground because it will be shallower, maybe I should move into the Gilly's more?

I feel like at this point I need to Meetup with a member who can show me how slow I should be going and the directions I need to look at. I still feel like I'm winging it half the time aha.
Do you have Steve Barnham's prospecting guide to Creswick? It is a MUST have guide for the goldfield. Same goes for any other goldfield, both Steve and John Tully have produced must have guides for many.
If you don't have one, ring Days in Ballarat or Coiltek in Maryborough to see if they do. It would probably be worth spending the time driving there to buy one.
If you are unable to get up to a used 5000 (with small coil) or 2300, I would definitely stick to the higher ground on the slopes of the hills. Try to work bare shallow clayey ground even the bare tracks can produce gold.
Avoid rubbishy areas like around humbug hill that will only eat into your detecting time spending time digging too many bits of rubbish. If you have no trouble finding small bits of rubbish you've probably had enough practice at finding targets already so don't need to waste more time.
The gold at Creswick is largely shed from higher level alluvial deposits that have been eroded and the gold is shedding down the sides of the hill. The slopes are probably better than the hilltops or gullies.
Would be happy to meet up and help out, the only trouble is that I do not have a gold monster so I could not help you with settings or advice on how to use it use generally but you seem to have sorted that out yourself if you are finding small bits of rubbish in the goldfields.
Get the Barnham book give it a go and keep us informed.
Good luck and keep trying.

I'd just like to add a thanks to all these contributions also. I'm very much in my learning phase so been trying to absorb every bit of info from all sources, and threads like this are worth their weight in (pun) gold to newcomers. I'm in QLD, and have been mimicking offered advice for our locations up here for now.

Thanks again
Troy

Gold originates from where you find it, at least in proximity to its primary deposit. So the gold did not "travel" to Ballarat or Creswick but rather originally came from primary reef deposits in Ballarat and Creswick themselves.
The gold we detect today however may have mixed sources either from the original primary reef system or from a secondary source so that could put a little further distance into the equation. The weight of gold ensures that it is very difficult to move far at all by most natural measures.
We refer to alluvial gold as a secondary deposit either in deep leads covered by later alluvium or lava flows, shallow gullies that the early diggers exploited or even gold in the soil. Some refer to the latter as elluvial gold, but it is all part of the same process whereby gold sheds from a primary reefing source working its way by gravity to lower and lower levels into a secondary deposit.
Some secondary deposits are now elevated protected from erosion by a hard capping of cemented river gravels called conglomerate. These also can shed gold where their edges are exposed on hillsides but the gold is usually smooth and worn indicating it has come from a secondary deposit whereas gold shedding from a primary deposit close to its source will often show sharper characteristics and sometimes it is still attached to its quartz and is then known as a specimen.
As to where the gold in the primary source (quartz reefs) originated,, my understanding
is that it was was deposited by superheated and super pressurised metal and mineral rich hydrothermal fluids which were squeezed from their deep source associated with magma chambers.
These fluids flowed into and enlarged naturally occurring cracks, fissures and faults in the overlying rocks or forced passages along loosely bound strata. Tectonic forces have squeezed the rocks of Central Victoria into an almost vertical concertina like fold system, fracturing those rocks and made them particularly suitable for intrusion by those gold bearing hydrothermal fluids.
Once these superheated and super pressurised fluids reach a cooler zone where the temperature and pressures are just right (the goldilocks zone) deposition of the gold and other minerals takes place. An analogy would be the experiment we did in our school days growing crystals from a warm saturated solution of copper sulphate suddenly crystallised when the solution cooled enough.
One study in WA involved slicing through a quite large nugget to examine its internal crystallinity. That indicated a temperature of about 300 Celsius for its formation. Using the known temperature gradient of the earths crust of about 30 degrees rise per Km of depth that also gives an estimate of the depth at which the gold deposited (approx 10Km).
Looking at the goldfields today one may think that this process would take an almost immeasurable time to erode away the overlying rocks and expose the reefs, but the climate was much different then to what it is now for much of Australia's history.
65 millions years ago Australia was part of Antarctica and has moved through many climatic zones since to its present position providing opportunity for much wetter climates to increase erosional rates. Other factors are evidence of mountain uplift increasing erosion rates and also that the hard metamorphic slates we now see were at the bottom of a large sequence of sediment deposited in a deep ocean trough that would no doubt have been much softer in their uppermost unmetamorphised layers.
If we go back even earlier, before 370 million years ago but still after the rocks were deposited, there would not have even been trees or grasses on land to slow erosion by rains of unknown intensity. There would have been plenty of opportunity to erode the kilometres of rock necessary to expose the reefs on the surface.
As to whether the nuggets originated in the reefs or grew in situ in secondary deposits, whilst I have personally seen evidence that suggests that gold can grow in situ, I think that evidence does not favour the growth of large nuggets or even the smallest nuggets we now detect. There is good evidence that rich nuggetty gold forms in the quartz veins themselves and their growth is influenced by what are called indicator strata.
An interesting read is Bulletin no 9 of the Geological Survey of Victoria by W Bradford on the Dunolly Wedderburn goldfields. He had the advantage of inspecting many of the small rich nuggetty reefs when they were still open. His theory was that nuggetty gold forms in quartz veins when the movement of the gold bearing fluids was hindered or slowed (or possibly chemically influenced - a later theory) by intersection with thin iron rich strata allowing gold masses to grow in size. These thin lines were known as indicators and he noted that these were to be found right through the nuggetty goldfields he inspected. You can download the GSV memoirs and bulletins from Earth Resources Vic for free. It is however a large file nearing 1GB containing nearly 100 individual reports
If only I could identify an indicator at the surface that is where I would be looking, but I have never been able to do that.
PS. Above is my simplified view of a complex issue but always stand ready to be corrected by evidence pointing in another direction.
Thanks dude, it all makes so much more sense after reading your post. Couldn’t picture in my head how it all worked. All the scientific stuff was going over my head, but this explains it perfectly. Well done.

The course run by Andrew Bales, (Raw gold), covers surface indicators both theory and after lunch on location
Highly recommended course.

Today was the day!

I feel very lucky hitting even a small piece so early on in my detecting journey.

I went out to a previous spot and decided to do it a little differently. I walked all the way up to the top of the hill and detected back towards my car. I covered 1/10th of the ground I usually would of by going super slow, I paid particular attention to any surface quartz or changes in ground after reading a few things on here.

It was 5 hours later and I hit this little beauty as I was about to call it a day, about 3 inches deep after initially getting a nail and redetecting the hole!

The excitement was unreal.

I want to thank each and everyone of you who has posted in here, your information has been invaluable and I've learnt something from everyone.

Don't have scales yet as I never expect to get gold so soon but I would put it roughly at 0.5g? Maybe a little more if I'm lucky :)

Attachments

• 1650525651613432101938735545782.jpg
    1650525651613432101938735545782.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 1
Today was the day!

I feel very lucky hitting even a small piece so early on in my detecting journey.

I went out to a previous spot and decided to do it a little differently. I walked all the way up to the top of the hill and detected back towards my car. I covered 1/10th of the ground I usually would of by going super slow, I paid particular attention to any surface quartz or changes in ground after reading a few things on here.

It was 5 hours later and I hit this little beauty as I was about to call it a day, about 3 inches deep after initially getting a nail and redetecting the hole!

The excitement was unreal.

I want to thank each and everyone of you who has posted in here, your information has been invaluable and I've learnt something from everyone.

Don't have scales yet as I never expect to get gold so soon but I would put it roughly at 0.5g? Maybe a little more if I'm lucky :)
Excellent work 👍
Congratulations on ya first bit 😎

Latest posts