Creek Name Changes

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals

I have been researching a couple of creeks in NSW and VIC and it seems that over the years they have had the names changed, there are a number of references in some books and no indication as to the location, just a very broad area. One of them has references pointing to a particular region but I can't find a direct pointer to the current creek name.

I have done all that I can think of and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to where the information can be obtained?????

I not sure if the names are important more over the ways to get the knowledge.

Any ideas whould be much appreciated.

Thanks

Bazz

Hey Martin

Yep! the old google was the first place, then google earth & every book I have, I just come off VIC Names (historical).

I'm begining to think that the the names were local names provided by the old timers but were actually gazetted something else.

Interesting searching

Thanks

As silly as it sounds a great source is (if you have general area and narrowed it down) try the locals. A few of the older members I go out with are brimming with references to names and places that the electronic world does not know existed.

The naming of gullies and creeks was very difficult on the castlemaine gold fields there are 4 sailors gullies and most of the names were used up to 20 times on different goldfields
Nuggety gully and newchums have been used extensivley you have to try and overlay old maps on to google to see where they really where

Like all research bit takes time putting the pieces together, you can often contact the local historical society they will often love a good challenge or try trove, often If i cant find a particular gully or creek i will look for history in the main goldfield nearby. For example Ballarat records give you a good overview of creswick, sebastapol, enfield and a million creeks in between.
Marlborough has info on the pyronese mountains, clunes, lexton, dunolly etc.

Someties you need to think a bit outside t5he box and try different spelling, for example I couldn't find records on Bryces flat Hepburn a year or so back them i found an old reference to Bruces flat it turns out someone from the newspaper back in the day couldn't spell an the mining operation where reported as being at Bryces flat instead of Bruces and as such its now called bryses.

so you can see how difficult it can be, to add to ducks list of commons I would say chinamans gully is a perla.

the library is your friend good luck

For Victoria, try the Vic Govt Gazette site.

http://gazette.slv.vic.gov.au/

For example, the Rheola area was known as Berlin, and other variations of this name. The gazette is a wealth of old place names, when they were changed what they became etc. Old Rheola gold maps for example reference Berlin - playing with the gazette may help as it did in this case. It even gives map references that can be transposed onto new maps. See:

1404775995_z1.png

A search of the goldfields themselves can be fascinating - see rules and regs for the Dunolly field. It explains the siting of puddling machines for example near watercourse etc. See;

http://gazette.slv.vic.gov.au/view....m=650&state=V&classNum=G39&searchCode=3693022