Couple new to Prospecting and Fossicking

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two_point_five

Derek and Natalie
Reaction score
Hi all, we are fairly new to the hobby and are interested in both Gold and Gems. We have done some small trips and have been rewarded well for our hard work considering we are just beginners to this. We found some nice double terminated smokey quartz and amethyst, also along with some nice calcite/ice spar crystals. We were happy with that as a result although we were in an old gold mining locality and were hoping to find some yellow bits. No complaints I'm sure there will be a next time for that. We have also got some nice what we think is olivine/peridot out of a local stream to us but unfortunately no cutter looking bits as they all seem really fractured when viewing under light.
We are soon to embark on a trip right up to Cape York stopping at all the known localities along the way, we will occasionally be popping out to the coast for some R&R and fishing. We have no time limit for this trip and are leaving at the end of June. We are still not sure were to start but will be sure to post our plans closer to the time. It will be a big adventure, we look forward to meeting up with people along the way and will be posting our progress regularly.

Regards :)

Welcome to the forum guys. I look forward to reading all about your prospecting journey's, and I'm sure you'll be making plenty of new friends around the forum.

Welcome and glad to have you on board t-p-f, That sounds like a great adventure your about to embark on, and I'm sure some interesting tales will unfold. Look forward to reading about the trip and hope to see lots of pics. Best of luck with the Gems and hope a bit of Gold rattles the jar as well.

Cheers Wal. :)

Welcome from another newby. You sure have picked an exciting hobby.......it's one of the few that can pay for itself and even make a few extra dollars if you are lucky. Good luck in your travels. :cool:

Thanks to all the members that have welcomed us here and sent luck our way; I think we may need it until we learn a bit more. We feel very lucky to have found a forum where people come together to share in the same hobby and will make good use of it. We are both looking forward to learning as much as we can about geology, prospecting and fossicking while exploring some more of this amazing country we call home.

Regards, :)

Thanks for the heads up, we will get in touch when we eventually make it up that way. We plan to spend a fair bit of time up in NQ and explore the place well.

Thanks again :)

Latest posts