Council on the hunt

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Chanel 7 local news report that Bargara Council (Qld) is hunting for people using metal detectors
In a park , who have caused thousands of $ damage to under ground water pipes ect.
Possibly 2 people , and when caught will be looking to proscecute them.
No wonder it is geting harder to get permission to detect in parks ect.
I for one hope they catch them.
Mal.

Can't be too well versed at their hobby, not being able to tell the difference between a water pipe and a coin. Must have been using shovels or picks, can't see that being done with a lesche or trowel. :rolleyes:

Who says its prospectors and not just environmental activists? If they are prospectors then they need many hours of community work and a poke in each eye.

I have noticed many pipes around here have very little warning. Especially the high pressure gas pipes that go straight into / under prospecting creeks nearby.. not the same case I know, but it is a concern in my head at times while I am sluicing.

Typical of councils......trying to get others to fork out the cost of upgrading their crappy 1930 copper pipes with poly, all because they have blown the quarterly budget attending climate conferences in flash hotels on the Gold Coast getting fat eating ribeye.

I also doubt their claims its detectorists and if they managed to collar anyone swinging a coil, they would have a hard time proving it.

Of course none of the pipe blowouts are corrosion related are they? Perish the thought.

They most likely found a few scratchings around the park over recent months and thought....yeah, we can blame these suckers and direct attention away from our poor infrastructure maintenance so we can waste the rate payers dollar on other useless garbage that we are good at.

Yes, im not a fan of councils its true, but then again, would you support a shire that spends less and less on capital works each year whilst doubling rates and taxes?

What about the by-law banning singing in parks, or the one forcing my kids to get a $100 permit to set up a tent in their own backyard?

Its true, and it gets more laughable!

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...835948037?nk=d2c65bc99f5b406d9123272704ca89e5

Those pop up poly sprinklers sound real good on a coin detector. They are plastic but have a nice metal piece in the middle, which comes up like a nice gold ring. I nearly cut into one one night, the only reason i stopped is that it just sounded to good haha. :)

When I lived around Bundy there was a certain element who are very keen on recycling, have known one of these guys to "recycle" all the roughed in wiring from a school being built. I very much doubt this was an accident this guy probably "found" a detector and went to the park with the intention of "recycling" the brass fittings

Latest posts