Copeland, barrington tops

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Heading there for another family affair, saw some mines and whatnot on the gov site . Is there much area not on private property, if anyone knows? I know not that much was found there , but just a little nugget puts a smile on my dial. Any little tip would be nice, only have short time there. Fishing might be a better option, or I might have a look for some relics....cheers..

alot of the mines there are now in national park or conservation area so you wouldnt risk it

there were also some mines and a whole town at Wangat that were flooded over when the copeland dam was put in but they wont let you pan around the dam as its part of hunter water catchment

I did some test panning in jerusalem creek a few weeks ago and out of 3 hours i got only one tiny spec about 1/50 th of an inch in size , thats in the Chichester State forest now so you can work that if you get the $ 22 licence from the forestry people but i dont know how you would go for actually finding gold there

beware of snakes if you go there . the place is rife with red bellied blacks , browns and i saw a stephens banded snake on that trip too not far away from the chichester

there are mines on private property that were recently productive , but so far they have been closed doors to me

the maps show 3 big lines of reefs to the north west of barrington , i didnt get to explore those yet but its on my one day list , i think it would take a couple of months of doorknocking and chin wagging with locals to get in there.

good luck

Thanks for the heads up ... Heads up!
Think I've found a friend to let me on a property, so let you know how it goes.... Where you looking at the dpi maps ? About the reefs? ... If you have seen on another would like to know....
Cheers
Dont hesitate to pm me.

It might help you a bit to google search for "loaming for gold" so if you do start finding gold on your friends place you can trace it back to its source or trace it to richer concentrations

Getting on to private land is awesome , there are 10,000's of acres that have had no prospectors on them for 50 - 100 years

Good luck

I'm very keen to get up there, was meant to go a few weeks back but canned it due to weather. Should hopefully get another chance in a few weeks.

Latest posts