Conglomerare test - which one holds the gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, sorry for delays with reasons ( that means it wasn't excuses to go digging ;) ), I got the panning done. Seperate panning each time, careful for no contamination again by cleaning pans each time of heavies. All kept in same same order as photo #1 in this topic

1442206321_14422061280890.jpg

1442206382_14422061431162.jpg

1442206423_14422061573854.jpg

1442206472_14422061760197.jpg

Now for the results in the same order.

Sample 1, the hardest to crush, was orange and grainy cemented hard matrix with no quartz. I wish I had some as all the other samples had quartz, but there was still some within the matrix so I got it done tand it actually showed 3 dots of gold, ( too small to capture ) pretty much flour, but still gold. Some slithers of a silver floated around but was still heavy, possibly tin. Little black sand visible. The water turned orange brown. Compared to the rest, a floaty orange / red silt stays within the pan

1442206657_14422061360861.jpg

Sample 2 is what I run through my sluice at times but only a certain 1 foot is extracted and crushed for sluicing. It luckily showed up 2 small dots again, but this time a 1mm x 1mm flake with .3mm depth ( roughly ). Its finsihed clean look in the bottom photo may look familiar on some old timers tailing piles. Water turned yellowy. Tiny traces of a tin, some magesite in small grains visible as black sand

1442206949_14422061501363.jpg

Sample 3 contained zero traces of gold, very fine amount of tin again with magnesite. Boring apart from the water changing to dark grey / black. It containsbenough magnesite I could make a battery out of it using Zinc and Carbon.

1442207048_14422061698456.jpg

Sample 4, was similar to 3 but the mixture was still different with amounts of quartz and size of quartz. It contained a hell of a lot of magnesite, massive amount of tin and even pure silver / white metal nugget visible in photo. Some larger heavy flakes were also visible with the same color

1442207316_14422061822968.jpg

Thanks for participating and having a go at a guess. Mabey this will give you a hint on where to look but its still best to probably dodge it to save hard labour and sluice faster material. I enjoy working like the old timers and working as they did so I don't mind bleeding for fun, not even gold, just the experience is great to learn.

Another test is already on the way and will post it later for everyone to join in again and see results.

All pannings and results were kept in case of argument or discussion etc..thnx again people
1442207615_14422061891769.jpg

Good work AR,
So has the outcome given you a better understanding of what type of rock you want to collect ;)?
I like the little nugget :) Are you going to workout whether its silver or tin? I'm a fan of native nuggets. Gunna try and buy a few good examples of the types not common to Aus, Copper, Silver, Platinum ect...

Thanks for the comp. It was a great idea!!

NeoGeo said:
Good work AR,
So has the outcome given you a better understanding of what type of rock you want to collect ;)?
I like the little nugget :) Are you going to workout whether its silver or tin? I'm a fan of native nuggets. Gunna try and buy a few good examples of the types not common to Aus, Copper, Silver, Platinum ect...

Thanks for the comp. It was a great idea!!

I already knew I had color to run through the sluice through panning, but sample 1 certainly got me thinking. I tested a whole wall of sample 2 and gold only sits where its found still along certain sections or hieghts of the wall. Crushing has helped to reveal what's in the other and what else to mabey attempt.

The tin / silver interest me as well as copper / platinum..etc

I dug a tin vein not far from my house which was pretty exciting :)

NeoGeo said:
like the little nugget :)
If you mean the yellow chunk in sample 1 result, its just clay.
The only visible gold in the photos in result sample 2 just to the left of the rock at the top right.
The tin ( I think ) is just visible at the top of the pans in 1, 2 and 3 but in result 4, a lot of it can be seen at the top. A lot

I am happy to fully crush the stuff that got meshed from the samples if anyone wants too as you can see some big bits still in what I panned

I like how the color of my panning container water changed for each photo

Sniffy said:
Yeah awesome thread AR. Have been following daily.
Sorry for the delays mate. Gotta mess with your head a bit but we were just on the wrong wall. Mabey if you want to try it again better equiped we go for where I had dug payable conglom which is sample #2 roughly ;)

AtomRat said:
Sniffy said:
Yeah awesome thread AR. Have been following daily.
Sorry for the delays mate. Gotta mess with your head a bit but we were just on the wrong wall. Mabey if you want to try it again better equiped we go for where I had dug payable conglom which is sample #2 roughly ;)

We need a better longer sluice. I'm thinking to get something made up thats a couple of meters long. I have some sloped expanded mesh for the front, but need a riffle tray made. Building the box will be simple enough.

time and $ as always....

Latest posts