coin removal in sensitive grassed area's

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to add I liked the last part of the vid. I run around with a screwdriver and pro pointer poking around and being neat. But the few times I did dig deeper I did have some dirt floating around. I like the slit method and a cloth/rag. Will definitely need to do that this weekend :)

Again - AWESOME share and I have learnt from it. THANKS :)

These are great methods have been using them for a while now I only dig plugs where it does not matter

Ok hmmmmm I gave this a go tonight on a grass area thats pristine... Yeh didn't go as planned and didn't go as shown in this video :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: grass was way to thick to force coin out..

But I did work out how to locate the coin and then I just made a hole big enough to stick my finger in to loosing coin and pull out...covered finger hole back up and look great haha

It does take practice but once used to esing very easy. It is great to see so many people who do care. Yes it is a minority of people that don't care but it is them that will be the ones that stop us (the one's that do care) from getting into many delicate area's (private properties that need permission).

I just leaver the grass apart after pinpointing, no cutting at all, just spread the grass apart with screwdriver, gently poke screw driver around in the hole till you hear it touch the target then remove with fingers. Not cutting the grass won't kill it, anyway I don't dig anything past pinpointer depth on nice lawns.

Usually there is no need to dig deeper, most coins are less than 3 inches deep on a lawn.

After pinpointing, and just in case it is an old coin, I tend to feel for the coin with my finger, then get the screwdriver under the coin and lever it up to the surface undamaged. If you probe around with the screwdriver too much, there is the chance you can scratch the coin. Also if I have the pinpointer in the hole, and can't quite get a full signal, rather than dig the hole out more, I will probe in from a different angle to try and get closer. Saves you ending up with a big hole with a pile of dirt, which sort of defeats the purpose of using this method in the first place. A lot of coins you can pinpoint from surface running across the target with the pinpointer, and then perpendicular to the target. This makes for more accurate probing, plus indicates the rough depth of the target (if pinpointer can detect it, it is ususally only a few inchs deep).

Also wear gloves, in case there are any buried sharps. Get some thin cut resistant ones, so you still have some decent feeling when locating objects (bulky riggers gloves are a pain).

Here's another tip if people are worried about scratching coin. Put some shrink tube on screw driver tip.

When I dig for deeper and older coins I usually use the slit method. Works a treat. I carry a calico flour bag to put the dirt on.

What about the old weed puller tool?

1399027019_steel-head-2-point-weeder-with-114518.jpeg

Latest posts