Coil lead plug connections

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am currently building a Surf P.I. 1.2 MD and would like to use a coil lead plug connector which i can connect different types of manufactured coils. Do all coil manufacturers use similar plug connectors and which pins do they use. I have used a coil basically as designed by J.J.Rogowski (B.B.Sailor) on Geotech 19 tuurns of .47mm enamelled copper wire, 10.5 inches diameter wrapped in two layers of PVC spirwrap with a layer of masking tape over the spirwrap coated with two pack clear auto paint mixed with powdered graphite (fine ground auto lube). A length of stripped copper wire was then mechanically attached and connected to ground on the PCB. The whole assembly was then encased in polyester resin. I haven't tested the unit yet as i fried the transistor in the power supply when i applied power. This problem I am working on at the moment. Any info any of the members can supply will be appreciated. Thanks Dave.m. :)

I used standard coils for my build, here's the wiring diagram I followed:

1397604836_image.jpg

1397604862_image.jpg

Here is the power diagram I followed:

1397605025_image.jpg

1397605061_image.jpg

Hope it helps :)

In the case of Chance PI, I have 2 pins to the coil, obviously TX & RX. Bought another coil from aliexpress a concentric coil, 5 pin, I have continuity pins 1&2 & pins 4&5, pin3 no register. mono wiring above, short across 1&5 get reading of 027 at pin2, reading of 011/010 at pin4 nothing pin3. Was thinking pin 2&4 but then theres 1&5 (earth/ground?) because of 2 coils like DD, or 2&4 TX & 1&5 RX? I`ve got a headache....

In the case of Chance PI, I have 2 pins to the coil, obviously TX & RX. Bought another coil from aliexpress a concentric coil, 5 pin, I have continuity pins 1&2 & pins 4&5, pin3 no register. mono wiring above, short across 1&5 get reading of 027 at pin2, reading of 011/010 at pin4 nothing pin3. Was thinking pin 2&4 but then theres 1&5 (earth/ground?) because of 2 coils like DD, or 2&4 TX & 1&5 RX? I`ve got a headache....
Your message causes me "I`ve got a headache...."

Are your measurements in Ohms or uH?
What are your measurements referencing?
For example, "get reading of 027 at pin2, reading of 011/010 at pin4 nothing pin3"

Probably the best place to get a technical answer on running concentric coils would be on the geotech forum here - https://www.geotech1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?5-Tech-Forum

Latest posts