Chinese Coin?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone able to tell me what this is?
I know absolutely nothing about coins.

(sorry about the photo quality)

1397294619_img_0860.jpg

1397294619_img_0861.jpg

If you look on the Miners Den Cairns website George used to have a fair bit of info about these coins on the site. Good luck potentially 1600's as they date back a long way. Nice find

I just had a look at the Miners Den site and the coins date from 1644 through to 1911 made of bronze. Most coins from the Ching Dynasty. It is pretty interesting stuff. Cheers Rick

Morgan - they used to be quite common on the goldfields, a lot have been found over the years. I think the detecting club from Mt Gambier in SA found quite a few on the route from Robe SA to Ararat Vic. It was a good find mate. Here is a guide of sorts. You can buy these at markets around the traps - very cheap.

1397299315_chinese_coinms.gif

Some of them can be very valuable, I have a couple as well which I picked up in a batch of coins. The problem is like yourself I really have no idea what they are actually worth and how to pick the symbols. I posted some photos in another forum for information. The fact that I photographed them upside down as well shows I really know nothing on these lol :)

I was heading back to the car when I found that one and wasn't really paying attention so I'm keen to head back and hit the area thoroughly. The area was a flat clearing on top of a large hill (large - read - "I'm out of shape and was out of breath once at the top") that looked like it could have been a camp or staging area.

Thanks for the chart Loamer, I will have to sit down with a magnifying glass I think, mine is in pretty bad shape.

here's a couple of Chinese Coins I've found over time.
Coin 1
1398346049_sam_1750.jpg

1398346083_sam_1751.jpg

Coin 2
1398346146_sam_1752.jpg

1398346376_sam_1753.jpg

I'd like to think coin 2 is a Kang-hsi, but I am open to suggestions.

Latest posts