Check conglomerate for gold!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day, I went out to a field last weekend and brought home some dirt, nothing new, we all do that!

Well, I was cleaning up some gravels that had been classified and I was looking at the left over rock that had gone through the 1/2 inch and 1/8 bucket sieves, again nothing new there. I spied a rock like this in the left overs.

1369391337_conglom.jpg

I thought this could have gold in it, it looks like conglomerate and I know the hole it come out of was about two feet deep near the bed rock... So I grabbed my trusty hammer and another piece of the same looking rock / stone..

Crushed it up, after panning it out there was bit of left over gravel that was sitting in the bottom of the pan and acting like gold, sitting in the bottom of the riffle of the super sluice pan and not moving much, I smooshed this bit of mud and low and behold, it held a bit of gold...about 1.5 mm piece.. it is now in the vial from this trip..

Moral of the story.. never ever underestimate where you will find gold.. I have collected the conglomerate looking rocks and will be smashing these tomorrow morning...

1369391437_conglom2.jpg

I will post up a pic of the gold if there is any.. or just an update tomorow

Good luck out there!

Nice work Tone.
Imagine having to drag the dirt home just to throw out the gold with it as well.
Looking forward to the pics

Thanks for posting your results TenOunce, you win some you lose some.

Tonight I finished off some concentrates from my recent trip to Nundle with very similar results :(, I did find some tiny clear gemstones though.

Nugget said:
Thanks for posting your results TenOunce, you win some you lose some.

Tonight I finished off some concentrates from my recent trip to Nundle with very similar results :(, I did find some tiny clear gemstones though.

Bummer Nugget, hopefully next time yields better.

It must have been the luck of the draw with the first one. I have a few other potential looking rocks I will bust up.. I will try and remember to take before and after pics, never know your luck, and it makes sense to in my mind that the conglomerate will be formed at the bottom of the stream in the clay etc so there is some chance it will pick up gold... Good luck in the hunt guys

Latest posts