Car is loaded..

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice gold, It's tough camping in the cold, wake up and everything is white, the water supply is frozen. In these situations I always think of our pioneers, they done it hard. Met an old prospector back in the late 70's, he had a kangaroo skin and potato bag doona, it was heavy but it would have been warm, he said if it got real cold he would have a small fire under his bed.
:) Mick

axeman said:
Nice gold, It's tough camping in the cold, wake up and everything is white, the water supply is frozen. In these situations I always think of our pioneers, they done it hard. Met an old prospector back in the late 70's, he had a kangaroo skin and potato bag doona, it was heavy but it would have been warm, he said if it got real cold he would have a small fire under his bed.
:) Mick

did he mean he puts rocks from the fire under his bed or was it innuendo to mean he was lighting his farts ?

If I wasn't sleeping in the car then I probably would have had a fire under my bed too. The way to do it is to dig a small pit, either have your fire in there, or fill it with embers then put a few inches of dirt back on top. It acts as a hot water bottle as such.

The sleeping bag I had was rated to 10Deg Celcius, but I didn't get to get in it. I opened it up & spread it out like a blanket over the front seats.

I was tempted to put the heater on, but the cold was incapacitating. I don't think I could have managed it.. :p

The worst part was when my feet slipped out of the blanket at the bottom & felt like blocks of ice without shoes or socks on.

I feel for you guys, we have had a few uncomfortable nights at the ford before we got a little more organised :D
Good to hear that despite the cold you had a good time and found some gold :cool:

Latest posts