Camping at Talbot Vic

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering if there is anywhere around Talbot that you can set up camp for a couple of days and detect. Can you camp in the State Forest there? Any info would be much appreciated :) Shane

Just drive down any track in the state forest and find a spot.

1411128406_a011.jpg

There could be a guy that starts a loud machine of a morning.

I think its a cardboard crusher but not sure 100%.

Cheers Redfin! Picking up my SDC 2300 in a couple of weeks. Im hoping to have a swing over one of the Talbot state forests. Thats a pretty awesome set up you've got!!

Here's the deal with Talbot and I've stayed there several times.

* Most sites are semi permanent, (the quieter spots away from the football), the only one I could get last trip was out back of the visiting team change rooms. About 15' from the boundary fence of the oval. The guy in the next van although fairly quiet, was not a prospector, but he worked as a Baker and left at 2am, his car sounded like a B Double. I wore aircraft grade earplugs to bed, they did not stop the car and other noises
* Cost was $7/night plus metered power.
* Wolfau is spot on, at least 6 days a week the caretaker (his name is Rhynie) operates a cardboard crusher, it is powered by a 6+kva diesel 3 phase generator (very noisy) and he also uses a forklift as well. This starts between 7 and 7.30am.
* Football season, which is most of winter when we detect, there is practice Tues and Thurs nights. I think the colts practice Wed nights. This is under lights until 9 to 10pm. If the teams play at home that's Sat arvo, colts nippers etc also play on the weekend. They park all round where I was camped and blocked my car in, so if I wanted to go out $%^&$#.....
* At the other side of the oval they have a netball court also.
* Showers and Toilets are very very basic, I've been more comfortable in Forrest drop toilets to be honest.
* After practices/Games the players and mates quite often go into the clubrooms for a drink or 3.
* They also run Bingo every Friday night.

I went there last year intending to stay at least 4 weeks, I lasted 7 days and moved into the scrub for some peace and quiet.

I WON'T go back there.

If you go into the forest, the Karri Track campground is about 14kms north via Amherst and Possum Gully Road. It has drop toilets. It's about 7 to 8kms to the Maryborough Indoor Heated Pool where you can get a hot shower for $3 or $5 to swim as well.

Alternatively, anywhere in the State Forrest, find a tree to c@#k the leg, dig a hole (properly) for a crapper and use the pool for showering. I've done this, going into town every 2-3 days for a shower and usually on the one day I go into one of the two laundries to wash clothes. In between it's, armpits n a***holes with a face cloth.

If you want power buy a Honda, you can get water in Maryborough.

Hi Wooly, Up Blacksmith gully road, on the right is a great spot under the trees just off the road. [No Gold here dam I think] Right along side the creek. GREAT SPOT! Also another guy on here camps at Paddys Ranges NP on some track ????? Cant remember the name. Just found it, Karri Track Camp.. Hey there's a community hall in that area with tank water too.

As Daz said,

Karri track camp ground - 2 x Drop Toilets.

Also, Talbot Football club do have a small Van Park area at the rear of the Clubrooms. See Rhynie the caretaker (if he's still there) They do charge but it's nominal, toilets showers. But, can be noisy/busy on game days and practice nights. (Why I no longer go there)

Finally, if you can get your vehicle/camper/caravan in, then you can camp anywhere in State Forests for free.

I have a shower van with toilet, so my only limitation is water and access. I know the area well and water can be jerried in to camp from Maryborough or Avoca.

Latest posts