Burning party garrett scorpian

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drbean

Derek
Reaction score
Would anyone like to set fire to there garret scorpion?
The only one that got stung was me !Holly snapping duck
poo what a price of junk .Don't even want to sell it because
of fear for my life they would come back and hide from the
sun!I think you could guess where that would be :eek:
So I might melt it I'm guessing there's more gold in the
Components than what it would ever find.Dr

Drbean said:
Would anyone like to set fire to there garret scorpion?
The only one that got stung was me !Holly snapping duck
poo what a price of junk .Don't even want to sell it because
of fear for my life they would come back and hide from the
sun!I think you could guess where that would be :eek:
So I might melt it I'm guessing there's more gold in the
Components than what it would ever find.Dr

How long have you had it and what did you pay for it.

A good old gold machine that competed with the Scorpion was the Tesoro Dingo.

I miss that machine it zapped .1 gram nuggets and the signal was sharo and clear.

Hi wolf about a year and a half $530.00 .this thing
is sensitive as well but won't shut the hell up on
the goldfields bought for my kid but she was gutted
That this thing won't handle mg .
More stable in discrimination mode but then you miss
the gold.Gave it to about three other people who said
same thing can't get it to him at all .

OK Do you have a constant threshold hum?

Have you tried it out at a park?

Have you ground balanced it correctly?

So basically the scorpion runs at 15 KHZ.

So you should be able to take it to a grassed park, adjust the ground balance and start detecting.

Are you able to do this?

i have put my xterra on ebay at a low starting - the last winner couldnt pay :( has prospecting mode and the 18kh dd coil for the small gold bits

Sa_bogan said:
i have put my xterra on ebay at a low starting - the last winner couldnt pay :( has prospecting mode and the 18kh dd coil for the small gold bits

Maybe you should donate it to Drbean's daughter :)

Yes mate no worries in those conditions the machine
is fine .so basically I have brought a coin shooter?
I run a SD 2100 for three years I built a surf kit month
Ago that craps all over this scorpion realising the surf
is a pi not vlf.basically it just doesn't shut up on mg.

Drbean said:
Yes mate no worries in those conditions the machine
is fine .so basically I have brought a coin shooter?
I run a SD 2100 for three years I built a surf kit month
Ago that craps all over this scorpion realising the surf
is a pi not vlf.basically it just doesn't shut up on mg.

Yes maybe.

I will be honest with you. I did not have a good experience with their new gold vlf alternative as well in high
iron infested ground either. It could be me but after 4 hours I gave up. If anyone wants to prove me
wrong go ahead and put up a youtube video but make sure you throw a magnet on the ground first as I
want to see the ironstone being picked up by the magnet.

Don't stress sell it. Put it up on ebay. Take it for a spin find a heap of coins then promote your
finds. I think I have saved a few people in the last month some serious money with detector
recommendations. It takes experience to find the right machine.

You would be better off with the fisher gold bug not the new ones though the high frequency one.

To be frank with you, you could take just about any VLF to ironstone infested areas, and you will have trouble picking out targets from all the hots rocks, unless you have a well trained ear, especially hard with the magnetic ones. There are areas here in SA where detectors like the Goldbug pro, x-terra 705, probably the Scorpion, and even the GMT will have a lot of trouble operating there. Its all a matter of having the right tool for the job, PI machines for iron infested areas, and VLF detectors for working close to bedrock, pipe clay/spoil piles and quartz reefs (specimen gold).

I didn't mind the Scorpion when I owned one, the main things that bugged me was having to run 3 x 9 volt batteries, and having to open up the control box to change them out. What sensitivity were you running on the goldfields, it should be wound back until you gain a smooth threshold, otherwise you will simply be picking up too much of the background mineralisation?

Like the Whites Goldmaster series, they recommend to reduce threshold even by half or 3/4 to gain a smooth threshold in bad ground. There is also not much use using discrimination to quieten it down, as it utilises the limited internal auto ground balancing (used for coin shooting) vs the greater range of the manual ground balancing in all-metal mode. If you find the manual ground balance doesn't have enough range to cope with the ground, then I think you will find most other VLF's will also have trouble balancing or overloading on the ground.

If a detector running 15kHz is having trouble with the ground conditions, it is likely a high frequency vlf detector will have even more of an issue coping in the same ground. The manual ground balance has to be set up perfectly, and rechecked as often as needed in variable ground (including using the retune switch everytime you adjust the balance knob).

The smaller elliptical coil would also be preferable in hot rock laden areas, so you don't pick up multiple targets as you would with the larger coil.

I personally like the White Golsmaster detectors, as there is a fair bit of adjustability with them to cope with bad ground, escpecially with the combination of sensitivity control and SAT controls. Even the Goldmasters will overload in extremely bad ground, some areas in WA they are unusable, as you are unable to ground balance far enough to null out the ground mineralisation, I suspect areas in VIC would be the same. :)
As mentioned, there are sections of the VIC goldfields that will trouble all VLF machines, even the latest offerings, but the Garrett groundhog circuit has a long history in Australia of successfully finding gold, just not in all areas I guess. :)

Goldpick I owned a Tesoro that was built for Australian conditions and it was brilliant and I found my first few pieces with it in the late

90's. Went to the same spot last year with my new vlf designed for gold that's popular on this forum and it was like a machine gun going off

on the ironstone.

Tried the G2 on the same spot and worked fairly well with the dual processors.

I suspect the Tesoro Lobo might do ok as well but gave up on vlf and invested in a GP3500.

Yeah, it's not really worth bothering with a VLF in those circumstance, especially with so many older Minelab PI detectors being affordable now. Hopefully when the SDC2300 comes out, the market will be flooded with cheap PI detectors, with people trying to raise funds to buy one. :) Although I will be an old man by the time Minelab decides to release the SDC, snore! You wouldn't be referring to the AT-Gold? ;)

Goldpick said:
Yeah, it's not really worth bothering with a VLF in those circumstance, especially with so many older Minelab PI detectors being affordable now. Hopefully when the SDC2300 comes out, the market will be flooded with cheap PI detectors, with people trying to raise funds to buy one. :) Although I will be an old man by the time Minelab decides to release the SDC, snore! You wouldn't be referring to the AT-Gold? ;)

In reference to the SDC let me just say this. I will be sticking with the 3500.

Just hope Garrett are working on the next generation ATX with a "shallow and deep target switch" with more sensitivity for very small bits buried deep.

It would be awesome if Tesoro built a pulse induction gold machine as well.

Well I still want to burn it .its not about the money
just think its the biggest piece of dog do door I have
ever bought.
Good luck with the 3500 wolf u made the right decision
Had my 2100 for three years and its bloody awesome.
Oh to the big banana trying to sell me your 705 I'll swap
It for my scorpion if you'd like . :lol:

I've still got my old Garret Scorpion, it's not in the league of the modern Minelab machines but still picks up bits but not very deep.
I still use it on beach swinging and ovals etc.

You have to spend the money to get the gold.

What do you expect from a detector that was released 25 yrs ago? Sorry mate buy you'd pick up an old warbler 2100 that'd run rings around it for those bucks.

Latest posts