Bow hunting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LC76 said:
Used to Bowhunt and do a lot of ABA target shooting.
Was bloody good at it too.
Then the IBS symptoms kicked in on top of the spina bifida.

Not good when you're at the 10th target in the bush with a group of 5 and you get a sudden explosive backside evacuation and because of the spina bifida you don't feel it coming till it's too late ,humiliating :8

Still have my Alphamax compound, can't bear the thought of selling it.
One day I hope to shoot again.

I remember a guy at the Orange ABA Club doing this ,,, poor bugger

Ivo said:
Ya i bowhunt i have 3 bows , bear attack 76#, strike 65#and a ragim black bear 45#@28" and love them all lol oh..and my son has a Bear apprentice lol :D great sport and the best getting out in the bush for a few days
I have the bear cruzer
It being able to adjust to a very low lb I thought it would be a great bow for my young fella aswell once he matures abit
I just don't want him playing cowboys and Indians
So he's restricted to the recurve at the club as for now
But am definitely looking forward to going stalking with him in the near future

great hobby, please just follow rules, join the bowhunters association of australia, through local archery club, meet some experienced people with legal places to shoot, take out as MANY ferals as possile

Old thread bump sorry guys
Does anyone have any bush blocks to clean up a few rabbits and foxes on
Abit random
East melbourne
Mate, Do Rabbits and Fox's swim. LOL
A bit off topic my friend.
MOD Edit.

Anyone go bow fishing? Seen an episode of Robbo where the yanks take him out bow fishing in a fan boat. Looks like a lot of fun. Can think of some great spots for it in WA and the Territory.

I do a bit of bowfishing, it is much easier these days with the better equipment available. You have to be careful where you go but generally if you can spearfish then you can bowfish.

Although we don't have fishing licenses in S.A. and I am a Bow Hunter, I guess my question is;

If you go Bow Hunting for fish (except S.A.) do you need a hunting license or a fishing license or both? :)

A fishing license allows for native species, a hunting license is generally for feral animals !!!! ????

Lilnugget said:
Magilla I sent you a friend request on
BHA
Is it true you are only aloud to shoot carp

No mate, you can't shoot carp with a bow unless you are part of the carp bowfishing trial underway at the moment. Rules are basically the same as spearfishing, no freshwater bowfishing allowed and in saltwater you can't bowfish in green or pink zones. This is for NSW, other states may be different. I see you are in Victoria, might be worth a call to your local fisheries department.

I did a lil google and yes, banned in all Aus except n.s.w with the exception mentioned above. Its to do with not being able to catch and release if undersize and the sport instrument taken as other things :(

Tathradj said:
You mean bow fishing for Carp. ?
For NSW and many parts of Australia, You can bow fish in tidal zones, Not fresh water unless you are part of a trial for carp only. :)
Have a good read and check the proper State rules.
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/hunting/bowfishing-for-carp

Exactly what I was going to say, happy to see carp hunted but not natives and introduced species like trout and redfin.

Cheers

Barry

Sorry to argue the point, but here are the S.A. regs on bow fishing

Bow and arrow

A bow and arrow can only be used to take European carp.

Bow and arrow fishing can only take place:

during daylight
in the River Murray outside of the main stream
at least 50 metres from all other persons not involved in the bow and arrow fishing.

Direct paste from http://pir.sa.gov.au/fishing/fishing_gear/permitted_devices

This has nothing to do with any trial. As a fishing license is not required (either salt or fresh water) and it is not considered hunting, it is legal to take Carp as above in S.A.

This will most likely be different in other States, particularly where a fishing permit is required.

The other rule re European Carp in S.A. is regardless of how caught, it is illegal to throw them back into the water......

All I know is that they allowed it in New Zealand as it cleaned up the waterways
Removing 6t 24.809 Coi Carp
I read also yes that nsw has a 18 month trial period which is only to licensed hunters
And I believe that s.a already allows bow fishing
I think it's all just state legislation
But once the parties see how much it helps clean up our waterways I do not see how they would not pass it