Blue Bowl Concentrator information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kawman

steve wardle
Reaction score
I have some rock with what may or may not be very fine gold in it... I pounded up a piece and the colour is way too fine to pan out.. If someone can help I will send them a pounded up sample to run thru their blue bowl to find out if it is recoverable gold or mica... I found a 20 - 50 mm thick band of sand stone sandwiched between layers of silt stone... I have found a newspaper clipping from the area years ago that says that very fine gold had been found in the area in slate... If it is recoverable I will buy a blue bowl to work the seam with... Interested??? :)

I will post a sample if you are keen to give some concentrates a run thru.. And can have whatever comes out for your effort.. I am at taree nsw.... :)
shivan said:
Where abouts are you?
You would be more than welcome to use my blue bowl to have a play with and see if it would be of use.

Yea a little far to pop over with the bowl, i am south coast NSW.
I have no problems running a sample for you. Just send me a PM if you cant find anyone a little closer.

I will post out some concentrates to more than one guy if there is enough interest.... :)
shivan said:
I have no problems running a sample for you. Just send me a PM if you cant find anyone a little closer.

kawman said:
I have found a newspaper clipping from the area years ago that says that very fine gold had been found in the area in slate..

I was reading the Queensland Times from 1868 last night... That edition announces the making of what becomes the Bruce Highway, Prince Phillips Shooting by a Fenian and Gold, Gold, Gold everywhere....

Incredibly interesting, especially the scam artist on the fields...riveting really...

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/20317764

PM sent
shivan said:

I know that there was a lot of incorrect and exaggerated newpaper stuff printed.. I found this rock formation near an old mining area.. It may be nothing at all that is why we will have it looked at by some of the more serious miners in our midst before I open my already very thin wallet to buy something I may never use again.. Some is headed out in the mail as we speak...Thankyou guys... :)
robertbruce said:
kawman said:
I have found a newspaper clipping from the area years ago that says that very fine gold had been found in the area in slate..

I was reading the Queensland Times from 1868 last night... That edition announces the making of what becomes the Bruce Highway, Prince Phillips Shooting by a Fenian and Gold, Gold, Gold everywhere....

Incredibly interesting, especially the scam artist on the fields...riveting really...

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/20317764

Kawman if you want to send a sample up my way I'm happy to run it through my blue bowl and fine gold recovery set up but needs to be here (Goldy) before Oct 6th.
Got a Chemistry exam on the 8th (Shivan will know all about that) and then off to Japan to do "Gold Rush Japan" before the snow hits.

Kawman
You should be able to pan down your sample to just the heavy concentrates & then do a rough evaluation by eye ( with the aid of a 10x loupe).
I do the following : reduce your ore to be able to pass through a 150 mesh screen. use as large a panning tub as you can lay your hands on. add a couple of drops of dish detergent to your panning water to break the surface tension. This will stop the mustard gold from floating off. BTW if the water foams at all you've used to much detergent. & will need to dilute with more water. Start by thoroughly wetting your crushed ore and give it a really good stir whilst holding the pan under the water. then pan off carefully & more frequently returning your pan to the settling position & repeat the stirring with fingers. When you get down to a cup of cons switch to a small finishing pan & reduce further till only a teaspoon or two of cons remains. Then shake into a corner and stream the tail of heavys around the base by swirling a little clean tap water over them. then check the tail & the bottom of the pan for traces of very fine gold.
It may also pay to double pan. You may want to run a magnet in a plastic bag over the cons to remove any iron from the mortar.
Jethro.

I have sent out 2 samples and I think that will be a good test... Iron pirite or gold??? we wait patiently for the results of the blue bowl test runs... Thanks guys.. :)

My DIY uses an old aquarium power head.
1379825044_xx-41408274-2488513-960-100.jpg

Not too hard to make and works well

Finished running sample today. Bout a dozen specs of gold found..... But not sure if they may have been hiding in the rim of my sieves :/

The stuff i think kawman was hoping was gold looked very pretty but acted a lot lighter than gold normally does.

Same results here Shivan. Lots of sparkles in the water but no gold.. :( i think it may be decomposed devils dice... keep on digging Kawman

Cheers., Tone

Thanyou for the effort guys.. At least I know that seam is of my list... :)
TenOunce Tone said:
Same results here Shivan. Lots of sparkles in the water but no gold.. :( i think it may be decomposed devils dice... keep on digging Kawman

Cheers., Tone

Can anyone advise about blue bowls for separating fine gold? I have googled heaps and it's rather a minefield...Found the following one on flea bay - I anyone using this or similar? Any info appreciated. Thanks, Pen :)
1397262500_blue_bowl.jpg

Hey penfooey

They work pretty well mate you need a good set of sieves to make sure your running similar size cons through. Im a but slack mines gathering dust nowadays I tent to pan down to 200 mesh and run it over a concentrator table. Or smelt it all when ive got enough.

G0lddigg@ said:
Hey penfooey

They work pretty well mate you need a good set of sieves to make sure your running similar size cons through. Im a but slack mines gathering dust nowadays I tent to pan down to 200 mesh and run it over a concentrator table. Or smelt it all when ive got enough.
Good to know. What do you think of the one I posted. It was around $125 for the set whereas I've seen them on their own (with clips) for quite a bit more....

Latest posts