Black Springs Meteorite

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headbut

Paul
Reaction score
This is the same rock I posted before, except now I have better photos. I have not sort expert opinion yet, but I have no doubt, this is a meteorite, which I found nose 1st buried 2 feet or so. I has all the attributes , looks like a space shuttle, has the thin layer of brown crust, about 1 mm thick, I has small pock marks & is faintly attracted to a magnet. The decisive test is the nickel iron content, which I will seek

Unfortunately my pick found it 1st & cracked it in half

1380719078_dsc_0057.jpg

1380719297_dsc_0053.jpg

That's one very nice find if it is. Shame your pick found it first. I'm assuming you where detecting for gold when you came across this?

That's interesting.I found a similar looking stone at Mt Gambier years ago and brought it home.I will have to dig it out and have a look!

Golden Tiger said:
That's one very nice find if it is. Shame your pick found it first. I'm assuming you where detecting for gold when you came across this?

Hi GT , was actually digging for sapphires & the only reason I kept it is because it looked weird LOL

And probably from the hole in my avatar :D

Cheers Paul

g'day fellas,
do meteorites in Australia fetch as much as that show on tv "the meteorite hunters".

Hi Dave , I think it depends on how rare recoveries of a particular meteorite are , which makes the value higher. The size of recovered peices & also what type of meteorite it is. Two of the shows at least were done here , one at Henbury & the other at Mundrabilla & they valued there finds , again well known impacts.

Mine is unknown & unless full of peridot , which its not , is not worth much I would say. I guess one positive is that mine is not a piece broken on impact , but a solitary unit

Cheers Paul

Latest posts