best gold panning spots

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
what are the best spots around for gold panning.. ive done some panning before at young in nsw but was on a family holiday many years ago. now that im older im thinking of going out and having a go at it myself but dont really know where to start. if anyone has some advise it would be good to know.

Are you still in NSW if so what part and how far do you want to go do you have a 4x4 or do you need good roads to get in on if you can give some of this info someone may help you out

no i live in queensland at mackay. i dont really get out much between working and family life but i want to start getting out more. i have a 4x4 for work and can use it when ever but cant really take out bush.. so im kinda limited to sealed or grated roads.

IM down in vic so can't help with spots but now we have some more info someone will know a spot up that way you can start on

I'm in vic too but I think this may help in your hunt. Firstly Identify your gold bearing area. Next you need a water source. Rivers are a dead give away, but what if the rivers are dry? That's the problem I have & have overcome this by finding bush dams. But driving around all day us a waste of fuel & time. Thankfully modern technology is at our finger tips. Google Earth will show you where the dams are & if you have gold maps you can also spot areas of interest.

Good luck & hope you get some nice colour.

is there any spots close to the hunter valley, in particular the upper hunter??

i'm going to take a look around widden valley, not real confident but it has been bugging me for some time now

Hey Bisho, how did you go around Widden Valley. Was thinking of looking at that myself and some other areas between Sandy Hollow and Bylong.
Would be nice to find something close.

Dogmatic said:
Hey Bisho, how did you go around Widden Valley. Was thinking of looking at that myself and some other areas between Sandy Hollow and Bylong.
Would be nice to find something close.

haven't managed to get there yet but think next weekend is a good time :cool:

I have been there and checked out the creeks, stunningly beautiful spot, but there is no gold in the creeks there. If you look at the metallogenic maps of NSW you can see that the rock type, age & structure is all wrong, but keep going through the Bylong Valley until you get to Gulgong or Mudgee and you're into gold bearing territory.

Latest posts