Beekeeping

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just talking to a mate had 3 loads of bees in the Adelaide hills that the fire went through, couldn't believe that he only lost 1 load. 40 hive burnt the rest were cooked in the hive but boxes weren't burnt. Would think there would be some heavy losses in the eastern states but their not allowed in to look for some time which is fair enough.

Hey Hard Luck good fun working those agro hives isn't it, they will be like that here soon when the Tea tree (divesafolia) flowers. doesn't look very good at my place, too dry, it is budding up now but some trees only partial, some not at all and some look very good, overall doesn't look all that good to me.

Yeah. From my limited experience it's been a very tough season. Especially in NSW and Southern QLD.
Even down here, speaking to a very knowledgeable couple of keepers, they have said conditions have been bad.

A few of my hives that I was keeping at a neighbours place.
1577962494_f5cc7268-97e0-4a95-8412-45180b78f2db.jpg

Was that below you Les or to the South. ?

Great to see you are safe. How did you fare.?
You can ring me if you wish. :Y: :Y:

Hi Tathra,

That was about a km from my place. Everything has burnt around us but we are hoping there wont be a crowning fire on Saturday. We got lucky but unfortunately many around us didnt. If we can get through tomorrow, it will be time to help others who need a hand. Considerable sadness at the moment but community spirit and support is strong. Stay safe everyone.

Not sure how the guys on KI are fairing. Hopefully their population of bees has survived, I think from memory they are a pure strain of Ligurian Bee, happy to stand corrected on that if Ive got it wrong.

So sorry to see you've lost some of your hives, Les.
Sending best wishes to you and your family. Stay safe.

Regards,
Megsy

Bee's won't bounce back until the bush regrows. they have to have somewhere& something to forage on. If no resources are available they will need to be fed with sugar syrup, pollen, bee cake or what ever, will be a slow recovery for beekeepers. KI are talking up to 10 years for regrowth and I guess it will be the same everywhere. The beeping industry will take years to recover in the burnt areas.

I read somewhere the other day that over 1000 hives lost on KI, over a quarter of the islands stock. Long haul to get back on their feet for many on the island. Stock losses were huge.

Harvested honey from the backyard hive yesterday. This was a swarm I captured in my shed last year. Wasn't sure how mama bee was going so I checked the brood box and she seems to be laying ok.

I'd still like to requeen this hive sooner rather than later, but knowing me I'll be waiting till they turn feral and try to kill you every time you walk past.

Only had about a dozen persistent buggers that were really angry at me. The rest were well behaved.

Got a few buckets of honey for my time. All good. :)

1601841107_20201004_160649.jpg

1601841108_20201004_163040.jpg

1601841108_20201004_210301.jpg

Mackka said:
My wife has a giggle at me in the morning when I make my weekday breakfast. You see I like Weetbix with a little butter, crunchy peanut butter and a drizzle of honey. Yummo. Goes great wholemeal biscuits as well.
Mackka

I'll remember not to let the grandkids know of your weekend brekky recipe, all of our grandkids love peanut butter and honey sanga's :argh: If they ever learn of this Mackka we'll have to buy a peanut butter and honey factory :lol: :eek:

Walked out into the backyard yesterday afternoon and it was on!! Wasn't sure if my colony was swarming or if another swarm decided to come play with my bees.

1603257621_20201020_151122.jpg

1603257621_20201020_151126.jpg

Raced of to get my gear ready hoping they would settle nearby so I could capture them. Put the soundtrack to Apocalypse Now on as well.

They finally settled on the back fence and the neighbours lemon tree.

1603257794_20201020_160954.jpg

1603257814_20201020_163442.jpg

Went to light the smoker, suited up and went back and they were gone. Bugga! Had a look under a few trees but they had disappeared. It's funny how so many bees can disappear just like that.

So about 12 today I'm sitting in the lounge and heard them again. Opened the front door and there they were.

1603258052_20201021_115503.jpg

Kept an eye on them to see where they would settle and they went to the next doors tree. I had to get the ladder.

1603258195_20201021_1206500.jpg

Up the ladder and shook them into a cardboard box. Did about 4 trips. Pretty sure I got the queen as I shook them into an empty hive and they all went inside to make their new home.

1603258328_20201021_131441.jpg