Beach detecting licence? (Qld)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm over in WA so I'm not certain but I have not heard that before.

From what I can find you don't need any licence you just need to abide by the rules councils may have. Heritage areas and national parks are also out of bounds. Are Gladstone Beach or Tannum Sands heritage listed areas??

https://www.qld.gov.au/recreation/activities/areas-facilities/fossicking/rules

You also don’t need a fossicking licence to hunt for treasure or lost items using a metal detector. You should check with the local council for any rules about accessing public beaches and other areas for this purpose.

I'm over in WA so I'm not certain but I have not heard that before.

From what I can find you don't need any licence you just need to abide by the rules councils may have. Heritage areas and national parks are also out of bounds. Are Gladstone Beach or Tannum Sands heritage listed areas??

https://www.qld.gov.au/recreation/activities/areas-facilities/fossicking/rules

You also don’t need a fossicking licence to hunt for treasure or lost items using a metal detector. You should check with the local council for any rules about accessing public beaches and other areas for this purpose.
But what I can find on our council website they’re saying I’ve gotta pay a fee and get a license but I’ve already had to get a Queensland license

But what I can find on our council website they’re saying I’ve gotta pay a fee and get a license but I’ve already had to get a Queensland license
To search for treasure or lost items with a metal detector in Queensland, no licence/permit is required - so I'm assuming you have a Qld fossicking permit which is for minerals.
Unfortunately Local Council can have by-laws restricting or even prohibiting metal detecting in council beaches, parks etc. Although I can't find anything on Gladstone Councils website? Have you got a link to the info you're talking about?
Only beach permits I can find are for camping areas & vehicle access.
If in doubt best to go & see them, phone or email to get clarification.

Latest posts