Be careful what you inhale.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you get well soon mate. There's a few nasty Moulds and Fungi out there that can cause havoc to our lungs, especially in caves and mines where the environment is damp.

Oldfella said:
I hope you get well soon mate. There's a few nasty Moulds and Fungi out there that can cause havoc to our lungs, especially in caves and mines where the environment is damp.

Sure is Oldfella even opening a bag of potting mix can kill you if you inhale the nasties in it, Legionella is one that comes to mind, bacteria, viruses and fungi/moulds are everywhere and very opportunistic when they find a victim to infect.

Feeling a lot better this arvo, all the support is helping too, you all rock!

Gday Heatho just found this thread and glad to hear you are on the mend . It's a schitter as the body gets older these types of bugs tend to become more problematic to go along with the aches and pains , sounds like you are in good hands and won't be long until your out and at it again , best of luck and fast recovery

Cheers

All the very best Heatho for a speedy recovery I appreciate your posts and knowledge Ian

Thanks Ian, I'm feeling much better now and without smoking even better again, they should let me go home tomorrow but will be on antibiotics for a month or 2. They still can't isolate the bacteria causing it but they said they rarely do. Anyway thanks for the support mate and everyone else it has helped heaps.

Cheers.

Woohoo, finally got home, still no idea of the type of bacterial infection that nailed me. I'm on antibiotics for four weeks, that's a good thing though as it should clear up the abcess totally by then.

Still don't feel like a cigarette, a few tiny cravings but nothing that makes me want to spark one up. I'm actually quite enjoying not struggling for a breath for the first time in years. Early days but I'm sure I can keep those things out of my life. If I feel myself falling off the wagon I'll just use my ecig but I want to remain nicotine free.

Great to hear Heatho :) I hope you can stay away from the cigarettes. My father used to be a smoker but several years ago got sick and couldn't smoke for a few weeks, this helped him give it up and he couldn't believe the difference it made in his overall health.

Cheers

Thanks fellas, I feel great considering what happened. I'm quite lucky too after doing a little more research this arvo, most of these abscesses are caused by dental work and I had a cracked filling fixed about 4 weeks before all of this flared up, so I'm narrowing it down. The cultures the Docs took can take up to 8 weeks to show any result. 5%-10% of all lung abscesses turn out to be fatal also, even with modern medicine, in the days before antibiotics 30% were fatal, 30% carried severe morbidity and only about 40% recovered fully. I should make a full recovery over the next month or so.

So at the moment it was either a filling or maybe dust, whatever it is was almost certainly inhaled. So with the Dentist I guess it feels like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't..........

The staff at RNSH were some of the best I've ever seen too, very caring and extremely professional.

Are you home from hospital yet Jaros? If not I hope things are getting better for you too mate.

You bet Ned will save thousands each year and the government gets none of it. :)

Not a bad idea that Ivo don't mind the pumpkin seeds either, 10 years smoke free is a long time in the future and when I get there I hope I can say that also. Still don't feel like one, thought I may crumble after getting home but I won't, just need to remind myself how well I feel without them.

Exactly Silver, can't wait till it clears up and I'm off the antibiotics, I will feel great.

Looking at my CT scan on the computer today puts it into perspective, I can see the damage I've done in plain black and white up close and it's ugly. Hopefully the CT in a few weeks time looks a bit better when they are compared.

Onward and upward!

Latest posts