Basic panning gear and where to buy

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitangel

Stephanie Munroe
Reaction score
Hello there!

As a novice gold prospector, what basic gear would I need for panning and where could I make such a purchase? I know there's Ebay but I wouldn't mind checking out some shops, too, if there's any around that sell what I need.

Cheers,
Kitangel

Hi Kitangel, I, like you am starting out, I have a variety of pans buckets and some home made items.

For a beginner kit, you cant go past the Garret Pro Panning kit, it will cost you about $90 and will have everything you need to get you started.

Yo will need a couple of small digging tools, the type you use around the garden, have a look at a few of the forums sponsor and you will get the idea of what you need.

You will also need a sense of humor as this can be exasperating work at times, but when you see the glimmer of the gold in the pan, you will be hoooked..

Cheers and good luck

Tone

hey Kitangel

I would reccomend going straight to the garret pro panning kit as well, best two pans you'll spend money on plus little jars, mag glass and the best tweezers i've used.

Then i'd go to bunnings but a big white bucket with a good handle, if not put some rubber on the handle cos they get heavy, then go to the $2 plastic section get a round scoop these are great and they dont bust holes in your plastic buckets. $20 round long handled shovel also bunnings "spear and jackson i think. and a backpack that will fit your pan and have a pocket for your smokes and phone :)

If you cant find gold panning with those your doing something wrong good luck

Detect a den is a good place to start. For tools I go to the markets and garage sales, I've got pinch bars up to crowbars, shovels of all types, geo picks up to road workers picks ect, all from these places and cheap. Buckets, get them there too or if you know any plasters, they chuck them out most of the time. Get some good quality gloves as the stones can get sharp. :) Mick

axeman said:
Buckets, get them there too or if you know any plasters, they chuck them out most of the time.

Plasters buckets or the Painters Buckets, These are about ten lt, good size and easy to handle when full. The 20 Lt buckets get to heavy when full, remember 20 lt of water is 20kg, add gravel etc and you will be pushing 35 - 40kg..
depending on what type of classifier you are using.

Have a look at Agmans Bucket Seive in the tools and equipment thread https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=541

Make a 1/2 inch one, your back will thank you.. while your at your local prospecting shop, have a look at the different classifiers, these come in handy when you are getting down to the concentrates..

Good luck

Thanks very much everyone, I'll take a look at the Garrett pro, and see if I can source some of the other things like buckets and gloves from bunnings and other places.
:)

If you want to go totally budget, go get a black pan from Aussie disposals for around $12 -$15.(or spend a bit more & get a Garrett pan that you're comfortable holding) A garden sieve & a shovel. A snuffer bottle $5.
Then raid the kitchen drawer for an old table spoon & teaspoon to bend up & shape it so you can get deeper into crevices.
I like to use a water bailing scoop.
For when the water is cold, them red chemical gloves are great. Get the long ones so it's less likely to get water to run into them.
Gumboots or waders come in handy.
Good luck

After following the advise of forum members my Garrett Deluxe Gold Panning set arrived today. Purchased from Brad at Aussie Detecting & Prospecting for $85. Couldn't be happier with the product, service and delivery. All I have to do is christen them!

Its a great kit so you won't be disappointed. Its difficult to throw gold out of these pans so don't be afraid to really work the material :)

Latest posts