Basecamp demo

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Village said:
I have to pay 12D annually, so I use it unfortunately, not cheap, but GIS industry standard. Oh I think the hand held devices, the newer generation coming will over come most of the issues, the new sat chips are down under a metre accuracy, and there has been information the new twin arial units in beta testing will be down to a 300mm accuracy. I think you'll find that there is is movement by most of the eastern states at least to provide the map detail in kmz format, file size is less then 20% of current, and allows for combined and multi layer mapping by the end user.

Mind you, I have draws and draws of topi and geo maps, old habits die hard.

email pasted below from NSW DTI , last i heard is end of january for some implementation and MINView later in the year for cross platform and therefore giving the hope of multi layered or as second best , maybe two apps screens running on one device and flick between them to get the best of both worlds

-------------------------------------------------

attn xxxx

The map viewer at http://nswtitles.minerals.nsw.gov.au/nswtitles/ is based on Flex, which doesn't usually work on Apple products like the Ipad (a result of a long standing policy by Steve Jobs not to support Flash or Flex in Apple Products). The department's other map viewer is called MinView (http://minview.minerals.nsw.gov.au/mv2web/mv2). It is based on Java. It may run on an Ipad (I have never tried it as I don't own an Ipad). It partially works on an Android tablet (although some functions don't work as they should). It should run OK on a Windows based tablet (in theory - again, I've never tried it). Both of these sites should run fine on a desktop or laptop computer.

The Department is trying to address the problem you outline. Early in New Year, we will launch a new online web mapping site which is specifically aimed at being functional on mobile devices as well as desktop and laptop computer. It will have all the titles data, as well as a lot of other geological and base data information, and will have a "go to my location" button. The new site is currently in build and testing phase. We are also totally redeveloping MinView to make it fully functional on mobile platforms, but this is not due to be completed until the end of next year.

Regards,
Xxxxxxxxx

NSW Department of Trade & Investment

I have just opened this to find that the genie is indeed out of the bottle. Thankyou, Village miles of homework there. :)
Geez, I haven't even scratched the surface yet.

BrisJoe said:
Can you import the POI's that I use in google earth?

Any kmz file can imported, goggle and most other similar programs will allow export as kHz.

Village said:
BrisJoe said:
Can you import the POI's that I use in google earth?

Any kmz file can imported, goggle and most other similar programs will allow export as kHz.

are those kmz files that you imported in the very first picture of your first post where you refer to historical NSW maps ?

and do those work in both the Rino and the Montana / 650 ?

awesome bit of work , but i think i would need to set aside a whole day and a box of panadol before i get on top of all of that

thankyou JS

G day headsup

yeah everything is kmz, works on all devices. Garmin updated their firmware about 9 months ago, I got 32gb micro cards in all mine now, so I can store everything, if I wanted to. I do keep a lot on the montana, but it kills me, especially if I'm on the way hoe, you know, are its only 35 mins to take a look at that, which turns into a head lamp, then work lights on the truck, then I'm climbing into bed, and the grief and strife wakes up, Oh is it that time already, heap honey, got to make hay while the sun shines, next you know I am looking for a motel to get some sleep, god I would be dead if she ever realised.

Oh spell checker, if anything I said appears as kHz, I mean kmz.

Hey Headsup

The geo maps can be cumber sum on a portable device, so hers a snap shot of a file, you will notice the tracks. These are the predominate Geological faults and shear zones that were of major interest to me in that area. I just overlaid the major points, did a kmz they converted them to a track. Hence their prefix G-ological F-ault.

1390206362_faults.jpg

Yeah I use the Montana 650t in the truck, just cause I am lazy, and carry the rhino 650 whilst in the field, bloody great device for $300.00, got rid of the 5 watt uhf and the montana from my hip, and insert one device half the size of either. spectacular.

you think the montana is big ?

the Algiz 10 i am looking at is 4 times bigger and i am thinking of putting it into a harness on my chest so i can fold it open and check maps as i walk with the magic wand

its possible the weight and size might annoy me after a while though :|

http://www.ruggedalgiz.com/algiz-10x/

If they ever get Ipad mini to work with ARC ESRI and google earth then i will be laughing all the way , coz they are $2200 cheaper than Algiz

it would be great to import just the fault lines for the area i want so i dont overload the device but these radiometrics and magnetics run on Ipad now under the Galileo app . i still dont get how you convert those into a kmz ??

http://dwh.minerals.nsw.gov.au/CI/warehouse/view/mobileapps

I wish i had a 5 year old to set up this stuff , its just not my forte . too old mate :8