Basecamp demo

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G day mate

Now just to show what you will be able to do with base camp, to fully harness your gps

This is just showing you an overall of base camp, I have loaded NSW Historical sites

1390125989_win_1.jpg

This is zooming in slightly, which now starts to provide you with map detail, but it maintains the layouts loaded

1390126134_win_1a.jpg

This zooming in even further, which if you select Map 2 & 3D you now not only get contour lines but shading to show valleys

1390126214_win_1b.jpg

This is where it gets interesting, with base camp you can roll the map to see what the terrain is actually like

1390126307_win2_copy.jpg

This is an area showing historical mines in South Heathcote, but wait the surprise comes

1390126376_win_3.jpg

I never knew you could do that with Base Camp... Very Interesting! I've been using Oziexplorer mainly so I can overlay Geo and historic maps over GPS maps it works great with Garmin and most other GPS units.

Now with birdseye, you can highlight and area and download the latest sat imagery, its a lot clearer on your program when you do it, you zoom in and almost can identify the tree species

1390126847_win_3b.jpg

Hare_Twigga said:
I never knew you could do that with Base Camp... Very Interesting! I've been using Oziexplorer mainly so I can overlay Geo and historic maps over GPS maps it works great with Garmin and most other GPS units.

Hi Hare

oh theres a hell of a lot more you can do with base, these are the basic type functions that can make a difference so you don't have surprises when you arrive at your waypoint.

This is better idea of birdseye, there is no limitation on your subscription download, it lasts 12 months for about $30.00, but the info is priceless

So Map area

1390128375_win_4.jpg

This is birdseye, 4.6 sq mil download on the area, you pick the area and size, the bigger the longer of course

1390128439_win_4a_copy.jpg

can you get cached maps on that device that show where the EL's and ML's are ?

i have tried getting that to work with ESRI on my IPAd ( built in GPS ) but its not compatible with Apple IOS

i have heard there are new map releases coming through at the end of january that may have this feature for NSW though . fingers crossed

HeadsUp said:

i have tried getting that to work with ESRI on my IPAd ( built in GPS ) but its not compatible with Apple IOS

i have heard there are new map releases coming through at the end of january that may have this feature for NSW though . fingers crossed

You can but the whole process is slow, in some states it's not a public database to download, others you need a converter file, like 12D to do it. Sometimes its really not worth it, to be honest. Sometimes if I really want some of the information I'll trace it by waypoints. Too much data on the device can slow them, thats why I break my down into job specific folders, and carry two devices, the bigger montana holds high end data on a larger field while the rhino I just download job specific.

Gets down to it, you have to be running a high end laptop linked to spartial base station, not really in context here, and I wouldn't start talking about it, the cost of the gear is over $300k, base, rover, total station, laptop, 12d program, really only use it for actual leases and drilling programs as it has a 10mm accuracy.

HeadsUp said:

Try Geoscience Australia, they use to have the option to download the maps data into a kHz file, on the public access portal, it got removed for modifications a while back ago, but it should be back

yeah , we all want one device that will do everything but thats not always feasible

panasonic toughbooks have the built in GPS , ALGIZ 10 will also do it with NSW maps but i have no idea if other states will work on that device.

still leaves me needing to carry two devices

my wishlist is a mini tablet that does the lot . it will come eventually

do you use GISRoam at all as a cheaper option ?

Harness what you have, get the most out of your desk top research, save you a fortune in fuel, unless you like the scenic drive that is

I have to pay 12D annually, so I use it unfortunately, not cheap, but GIS industry standard. Oh I think the hand held devices, the newer generation coming will over come most of the issues, the new sat chips are down under a metre accuracy, and there has been information the new twin arial units in beta testing will be down to a 300mm accuracy. I think you'll find that there is is movement by most of the eastern states at least to provide the map detail in kmz format, file size is less then 20% of current, and allows for combined and multi layer mapping by the end user.

Mind you, I have draws and draws of topi and geo maps, old habits die hard.

Village said:
Harness what you have, get the most out of your desk top research, save you a fortune in fuel, unless you like the scenic drive that is

time in the field is more expensive than time in the office

i estimate i would do 7/10 preparation before going out these days