BANG !

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy all. I found a bullet in a park/playground yesterday,looks like a fair ol projectile. I don't know much about fire-arms etc.
mbe has a fair age to it. the site dates from about 1850.
in the pic, it is next to a 22lr round, about 28mm long. the tip is slighty damaged from impact.
the musket ball weighs about 30gm,it was found in an Adelaide parkland and was about 6 inches from a nice 1887 threepence.likewise the heavy bullet was also from the park.. there was a lot of shooting clubs and militia training
in the 1880;s in these places. I have found 303 shells in the Adelaide botanical gardens. I guess there may have been training there for ww 11 soldiers. cheers
1404699969_photo0493.jpg

mbasko said:
slipped disc said:

The far right one is a minie ball/bullet. Fired out of muzzle loading rifles & a pretty mean projectile. Designed for battlefield use in the 1850's I think.

Thanx M. it was found in an inner city parkland. i reckon the 1883 3d was lost by the same person. there was training there for a militia or citizens reserve.

the duck said:
its a bullet magnet the old tesoro it will be gold next well done Pete

Thanx Trev. yes, finding heaps of lead down to 8 inches. lot's around in a country town. purt near hope so, the reserves are getting low. GOLD :eek: :eek:

slipped disc said:
mbasko said:
slipped disc said:

The far right one is a minie ball/bullet. Fired out of muzzle loading rifles & a pretty mean projectile. Designed for battlefield use in the 1850's I think.

Thanx M. it was found in an inner city parkland. i reckon the 1883 3d was lost by the same person. there was training there for a militia or citizens reserve.
I found one on some diggings out at Stuart Town - makes me wonder why they needed a muzzle loading rifle & a projectile designed for war. They were used in the Civil War & a common find on US Civil War sites. Makes a nice change from .22's & shotty pellets :lol:

I found a few at Sunny Corner too, one was totally mangled like it clipped some metal or a rock another was flattened out on one side, hit something much softer........, .50cal I think. Would make a big mess of anything it hit.

Heatho said:
I found a few at Sunny Corner too, one was totally mangled like it clipped some metal or a rock another was flattened out on one side, hit something much softer........, .50cal I think. Would make a big mess of anything it hit.

Make a mess alright. weighs 16 gms ? I think,from ,memory. with the semi blunt tip it would have a huge impact,knock down factor. :eek:

Not a ballistics expert but have been around a few bullets in my time, both going and coming! The first looks like a 20th century centre fire rifle bullet (hard to tell but maybe .30 cal). Second is a 20th century .22. Third looks like a round musket ball (if it has a hole in the top its a sinker!), Fourth (2nd pic) looks like a possible pistol bullet. On the 4th one you will see the remnants of a brass cartridge? which would at least place it past the late 1850's but more likely past the 1870's and would mean its not a black powder because the powder was in the round itself and not poured down the barrel.

Nice finds. Many throw these old bullets away but I keep them for historic reasons and if your in this hobby for money some are worth a bit.

On second look + now seeing the weight @ 16 grams I am thinking it may be an old pistol bullet head too. Dutchy is on the money. I think minie balls/bullets should be about 510 grains or around 30 grams. Still a good find & still way better than .22's & shotty pellets :lol:

Dutchy said:
Not a ballistics expert but have been around a few bullets in my time, both going and coming! The first looks like a 20th century centre fire rifle bullet (hard to tell but maybe .30 cal). Second is a 20th century .22. Third looks like a round musket ball (if it has a hole in the top its a sinker!), Fourth (2nd pic) looks like a possible pistol bullet. On the 4th one you will see the remnants of a brass cartridge? which would at least place it past the late 1850's but more likely past the 1870's and would mean its not a black powder because the powder was in the round itself and not poured down the barrel.

Nice finds. Many throw these old bullets away but I keep them for historic reasons and if your in this hobby for money some are worth a bit.

Thanx Dutchy. yes th first one is unusual given I haven't seen one before I have a 303 [ marked L C 7 4 ], 243, and a 22/250 , this bullet looks about same as the 303. it was in a park,playgtound ,20 ft from a 1870's guest house, virtually in the main street, so how it got there is interesting. the 22lr come from a farm adjoining a 1880 school in ruins, found only a 1923 3d at the school. the musket ball [ no hole'] weighs about 30gm, and found at a near city parkland that had a shooting range and had citizen's militia training. the 1883 3d was about 6 inches away, so it is an old site. the 50 ? cal. was also in a city parkland. it has part of the casing visible. finding 303 casings in city parklands also is interesting. cheers
1404797403_photo0497.jpg