Ballarat Area Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day RR,

I'm glad there is a bloke amongst you I can go to to get the straight skinny on Aussie behaviour, which will prepare me and make me so much more adequate at holding up my end of the stick! Of course I'm somewhat intimidated by the prospect, especially as my American accent is going to clearly fail at disguising I'm a greenie,
and likely not at all the Ozzie I'm (momentarily) pretending to be! However, if I find myself in a bar you're in, I'm staying very close, knowing there's a beer in it for me, and that the nearest table will shield me under it later, til at least one or two have exited first! As for pictures, that's the hardest thing for me of the bunch, but I promise due to the tremendous encouragement I've gotten from you guys, that there will be some reports posted and pictures made and shared!

Still perusing your list of Quaint Aussie Customs.... :lol:

Cheers,

Glenn

Glenn I know you will have a Ball out there Mate, You will find the people out that way are the salt of the Earth and you will make some good friends Too,

Don't Forget If you Travel out the on your own To meet up with any one Make sure you either let some one Know like the Post office or detecting shop, The Hotel (PUB) or the Police know and let them know when your going to come back and also when get back so they don't worry about you or Raise the Alarm thinking your lost, if you stay out there be sure to take 3 To 4 x The amount of Water you think you Need and a pocket GPS, and If you have Vehicle troubles Stay with your Vehicle, NEVER Wonder away from the Vehicle because they are easier to see from the Air than A Person, The Aussie Bush is much Like the Bush in The U.S. but with a lot less roads and less chance of seeing other Travellers.

Anyway, Just have fun out there, It's a Brilliant place, Peace and Quiet, and a whole lot more,

Good Luck and find The Big One,

john

G'day RR,

Thanks mate, the encouragement I've received from each and every one is uplifting. Am noting every piece of advice and will do!

lol you guys crack me up, don't worry ezy we are not all cork hat wearing tinnie throwing yokels :) I think you will find the average prospector you'll bump into here would rather be digging than swinging a can.

ezpacer said:
Thank you all! I feel that I'm already finding and collecting "nuggets" of the best-- good advice!

LC76, good you so appreciate the opening line of Robert Service's poem "The men that don't fit in", describing the men he observed in the Alaska gold rush of the 1890's. That poem became my mantra when I found it as it so truly describes the case of those of us who walk to a different drummer, to borrow another tried and true descriptor. I recited the poem to my wife-to-be on the first day of our meeting five years ago, so as to give her a fair "heads-up" up front, but fortunately or not for her, she ignored the clear warning and now lives with the reality, but somehow has managed to stay in love! ;)

Wikipedia has a very interesting page about his life, and the poem, with all his others, is very enjoyable to read and contemplate.

Best Regards,

Glenn

Robert is certainly a man i would have loved to talk with and listen to his personal experiences,what a life he had.
And mate you have a wonderful and understanding wife if you read that poem to her and she still stuck around.

G0lddigg@ said:
lol you guys crack me up, don't worry ezy we are not all cork hat wearing tinnie throwing yokels :) I think you will find the average prospector you'll bump into here would rather be digging than swinging a can.

That's Right, when I came over the first time. A few people Thought we were all like Mick Dundee, lol,

John

All of you AREN'T?? (My wife even says "Now THATS a knoif!") (and she's Venezuelan!)

LC76, it's possible her english wasn't good enough then to fully comprehend what she was hearing at the time!! :D And I recited from memory..as the truth of it in my case was seared into my brain.

Cheers,

All of you AREN'T?? (My wife even says "Now THATS a knoif!") (and she's Venezuelan!)

LC76, it's possible her english wasn't good enough then to fully comprehend what she was hearing at the time!! :D And I recited from memory..as the truth of it in my case was seared into my brain.

Cheers,

i love that google is taking this thread so seriously

1423111367_lol.png

curiosity got me so i googled the co-ords (slow day at work), this is why i love this forum, as a newbie i researched and if i was still a bit unsure i explained myself and asked questions for a little bit of guidance and was helped a lot by others, goes to show approach and manners helps when wanting info

Gday ezpacer,
One more warning about our wild life.
Watch out for the DROP BEARS :l

I thought the bears only bothered beautiful, buxom, blonde Scandinavian females and miners use battery operated drones with cameras' ;) ???? HEH,heh--

jamie said:
curiosity got me so i googled the co-ords (slow day at work), this is why i love this forum, as a newbie i researched and if i was still a bit unsure i explained myself and asked questions for a little bit of guidance and was helped a lot by others, goes to show approach and manners helps when wanting info

Post of the day mate :D

Gday Jamie,
Thank you for your post!
I am a newbie as well and love the forum for the helpful and encouraging posts for whenever I have asked for help.
Yes, my post was being a bit of a smart arse, but this forum also can have some fun without being offensive.

Anyway, ones capabilities as a prospector are only truly reflected in being successful in getting gold in the pan / detector.
Maybe I should 'put up or shut up' but hopefully I'll have some colour to show after a trip to Creswick this weekend.

Ps: does any one know where I can find a big mother nugget in creswick?
Tricky Dick

Latest posts