Ballarat Area Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goodluck mate it looks you're in good hands. I always carry a fly net to cover my noggin while out prospecting. Obscures visibility so I don't wear it unless i need to but worth having stashed away for when a swarm of a million flies happen upon you.

Thank you all! I feel that I'm already finding and collecting "nuggets" of the best-- good advice!

LC76, good you so appreciate the opening line of Robert Service's poem "The men that don't fit in", describing the men he observed in the Alaska gold rush of the 1890's. That poem became my mantra when I found it as it so truly describes the case of those of us who walk to a different drummer, to borrow another tried and true descriptor. I recited the poem to my wife-to-be on the first day of our meeting five years ago, so as to give her a fair "heads-up" up front, but fortunately or not for her, she ignored the clear warning and now lives with the reality, but somehow has managed to stay in love! ;)

Wikipedia has a very interesting page about his life, and the poem, with all his others, is very enjoyable to read and contemplate.

Best Regards,

Glenn

Going about things on forums in a "humble" manner seems to get much more positive results, i really value this forum it has shown me so much already. If you are new to this whole prospecting game take a leaf out of Ezpacer's book, there really is no future hanging out with Ivan Milat or these types! Had to make this comment as i feel this is how respect is earned, not just wanting your own ends while adding little to a forum that could be a limitless resource if you are genuine and go about things in the "right" manner! May 2015 be productive for you all :)

Hi there ezpacer,
You seem to be the smart kind of bloke so my strongest suggestion would be to pm GolDDigg@.
He really knows his stuff and is a great bloke.
Cheers Steve

I am useless at prospecting/Detecting for Gold, But using the Detector is easy as I have spent many year using them, But here you guys have a Massive amount of Knowledge about finding gold, where the 3 times I found gold was more about Luck than skill, And the Quartz I found was nice to find but back then I never knew that Quartz meant GOLD,

I have an Idea or Two, but I cant claim to be A Prospector but I'LL hava Lash. the best weapon I have is my Ears because by listening to my elders when I was growing up taught me more than being a know it all, All A person has to do is Ask why then Listen, I still think its amazing how some folks know whats there just by looking at the Land,

John

ezpacer said:
G'day fellow Gold Chasers,

I plan to travel self contained, and will be happy to camp on the gold area. I plan to buy digging equipment, does anyone have a recommendation regarding pick, etc, and where it can be bought? I want a long handled pick (30-36 inch handle) as weight for such a short time will not be an issue. I will be bringing most camp items with me (tent, swag, cooking articles, etc.)
Any advice on local creatures? Are snakes, mosquitos, etc. issues? Thanks for your responses!

Glenn

Sounds like you are gonna have a ball Glenn,

The only things I can think Of, Is Don't Eat the Snakes (some might be protected), And DON'T SWAT The Mozzie's with a GAS Cap underneath Coz That's the RAAF doing Night Training Maneuver's

and if you hear, Tssssssst, DON'T PANIC, It's NOT A Snake, that will just be your Guide Opening another Tinny, In The Bush We don't measure Distance by Miles or KMs, We Have a more Accurate measurement, IE:- Brisbane to MILES (that's a Town out west) in Queensland, That's 37 Tinnie's at A casual Pace.
(I measured it at great Sacrifice and expense) for my fellow Man,

Don't Be offended During the opening of the first Tinny After a long Hard Day if No one speaks, It's a Solemn moment and a chance to reflect Upon the Glory of the Day,

Never be the Last Bloke in the Pub (it means a blokes too Tight to buy a round) and when A Blue (fight) Breaks out, Don't be first out the Door,

Take Lot's of Photo's Too, We Like Photo's.

I hope this helps you get by with some of Our Quaint Little Customs,

John

Oh I though he wanted spots beside gold dust' I'll be in on that too let me know when you find one won't ya!

LoL

My aspirations aren't quite so big, I'm only looking for Silver, but I would like it smelted and pre shaped into nice little discs,...don't tell me where it is though, as I like and enjoy the challenge too much.

Latest posts