Bags of Joy

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone. So my mate at work kindly gave me a couple of bags of gravel from a Glen Innes Sapphire mine he bought near a decade ago. I've classified one bag down into 1/4", 1/8" and concentrate and found 3 yellowish sapphires out of the larger stuff, ones got a bit of pink in it and a few little blue shards. Plus a piece of pyrite :D once I can post pics up I'll show the little beauties off.
I have a couple of questions if anyone would be kind enough to answer.
1st: How can I be sure they're sapphires?
2nd: Is it possible there might be fine gold dust in the concentrate?
3rd: Will running the material through a sluice seperate the gems from the gravel?
Cheers in advance :)

Number 1 you could try a hardness test. Sapphires are a 9 on moh scale so see what you have thats close to it and try scratching the sapphire. Also post a pic might help
Number 2 would be worth a look
Number 3 if set up right it could help

No 3. A sluice will poorly separare sapphires from wash. They have a specific gravity around 3.5, silica is 2.8 so not much difference. Gold is over 19 by comparison.

Sapphires are commercialy recovered with pulsating jigs which vertically pulse the bed so saphires can settle onto a screen then periodically cleaned out.

Alrighty cheers fella's, guess I'll be picking through the 1kg container of small stuff by hand. Only thing in my garage I can think of that would simulate a vertical pulse is my jigsaw mounted upside down :lol: something to think about. Currently making a small sluice so I'll post that up eventually. I think there's a gemologist/jeweler in Nerang about 40mins away from me but last time I asked for a quote to get an opal valued they wanted one of my kidneys as a deposit. If anyone knows of one in the Scenic Rim region or close by, a name drop would be great. Thanks again!

Hehe :argh:
1539824804__20181017_192114.jpg

They're not the best pics
1539824805__20181017_192210.jpg

I reckon that bit of pyrite was thrown in there because I didn't find anymore traces of it

Ah cheers aussie I'll give it a go.
1539833282__20181018_132712.jpg

The little stuff I've yet to go through
1539833283__20181018_132639.jpg

The larger stuff I found the yellow gems in.

And the concentrate I'm going to sluice
1539833572__20181018_133229.jpg

Good fun, even if I don't find anything. It all adds up to experience eh

That coarse gravel i would spread out in the dark and try LED light and if possible black light :Y: you may be surprised how the LED helps the eye see gems.
If you have a glass top table you could shine light through them :Y:

Remember the Breville old country kitchen electric frying pan? Well, it had a pyrex glass top, didn't it...

Yep, chuck a couple of handfull of gravel in one and shine a torch from underneath.

Best thing since sliced bread - if you can get it off Mum. :Y:

Great ideas fella's tyvm :Y: I'm sure my wife won't mind me using the fry pan lid, especially if she doesn't find out ;) :lol:

Just remembered I have some clear perspex left in my garage so I'll be making a little inverted table this weekend to view the coarse gravel on :Y:

Latest posts