Australian Shipwreck - database

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
this site is for historic info. The database if quite good and easy to use. Please note when dealing with any relics:

Australia protects its shipwrecks and their associated relics that are older than 75 years through the Historic Shipwrecks Act 1976. The Historic Shipwrecks Act applies to Australian waters that extend from the low tide mark to the end of the continental shelf and is administered in collaboration between the Commonwealth and the States, Northern Territory and Norfolk Island. Some Australian shipwreck sites lie within protected or no-entry zones. (no entry zones also include ships that are designated as war Graves)

I am not sure if that's 75 years from 1976, or 75 years from the date of the wreck irrespective of year.

http://www.environment.gov.au/aggregation/historic-shipwrecks

I would take it as it says, "older than 75 years" for instance the ship being wrecked 75 years ago or before. Salvage laws will probably be applicable to later wrecks.

G'day

Good post. I have spent a bit of time on Elizabeth and Middleton reefs sheltering form bad weather in years gone by. Oh man, are there some ships wrecked on those two :eek: They're not sure of the actual number. The lagoon is full of 200 years worth of goodies and last time I was there the wreck of the Runic was still high and almost dry and very exploreable. Most of the larger remains and relics would have gone into deeper water down the sides of the sea mount but I still salivate at the thought of taking a detector out there. Pity it's a National Park

http://oceans1.customer.netspace.net.au/middleton-wrecks.html

Cheers

Chimpy

The ship sailing from Sydney to shanghai in 1866 , although a little early , may have contained gold .

I also recall reading old newspaper stories of many miners being drowned when their dinghy capsized or sank while rowing out to their ship with their gold booty prior to sailing back to china.

There was only two or three decent harbours in the gold rush era

Latest posts