anyone ever panned in watsons creek?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
just thinking of some local spots near my house and was thinking of watsons creek? its right opposite sugarloaf res??

thoughts

Always worth a look.
Just make sure its no in the national forest

I don't know the creek but Sugarloaf is part of Melbourne water catchment so make sure it's allowed. You don't want to get in to any trouble with Melbourne Water. :)

I have, only a small section that I could find where it would be allowed. Was absolutely no water when i went so just dug a bucket of dirt from a few spots and took it home, got 3 specs. The place was a mess where I was, open holes, piles of tailings, someone had been breaking up the bedrock, was a lot of damage. Don't think I'd wanna be caught there and cop blame for it all. Just be careful cos alot of it is nature reserve and definite no go I've been told. Go on geovic and look up where you plan to go first.

thanks guys the otheday i went just to have a look, the soil doesnt look as good there anyways, but lots of traces of quarts? found alot of holes though maybe from dsomone panning or could it be from somone metal detectikng?>

I went to Watsons Creek today for a bit of a look after a guy from work tipped me off
I sampled a few spots with the pan for no result
Eventually i tried a spot next to the road & bingo nice chunky gold
No fine gold just big pieces

The area looks worked over with signs of highbanking & holes all over the place
I dont see Watsons creek on the banned list & its not in a national park
I will be back

Regards

Dirty Harry

Ive been to Watsons Creek a few times as my friend owns land nearby, only ever found small flakes but nothing to write home about and ive walked a long way along this creek never again im afraid. Also other prospectors have made mess over time. I live in Warrandyte not much luck here either as to many people, Would Appreciate any new areas i can check if anyone knows of any around. ;)

I do a bit there, only for the joy of it. Never come home with anything worth bragging about but it brings the fever down. It's my local and yes it's been smashed from 1850's right up until today but I'm only ever panning and I try to cover my tracks. The creek and surrounding banks are full of old car bits and other junk so I'd imagine detecting would be a nightmare, unless you like junk. As stated above, most of it is nature reserve but there are a few spots that are listed as water frontage. Hope that helps

Latest posts