anyone else retiring soon?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
today's the day - retire tonight. Just be me, my grandson Jacko and Max the Dog living the bachelor's life in the beautiful Victorian central goldfields. Goodbye Melbourne, goodbye etag, goodbye Hoddle Street, goodbye West Gate. Hullo goldfields, hullo full-time parenting, hullo holiday home that is now home, hullo Lego/train sets/matchbox cars/kids footy and cricket . Bit like Seachange, but without the hotty Sigrid Thornton (yum yum).

Anyone else retiring? I wish you all the best and good luck.

That's great mate. A new life chapter begins.

I am 14 years away, unless they keep pushing back the retirement age or I find that retirement stone or nugget ;)

All the best with everything!

Good on ya Loamer
The new life begins enjoy
Me I still got a few years of building other peoples dreams..lol

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Cheers Loamer, your still going to be on the website i hope, can't lose all of that knowledge mate.
I'm 65 next april 29 and i hope i can get my back to keep me going to 68 or so before i switch off the incandescant and turn on the LED.
All the best mate.

Congrats Loamer, enjoy the grandson and find heaps of nuggies.

Today is also my last day of work. I am being made redundant after 28 years working in caves/nat parks in NSW and overseas.
Its a shock, however i am also looking forward to more detecting. With work i could only manage about 30 days prospecting a year.
So as of 4pm today i am officially becoming a HUNGRY GOLD DOG.
Cheers RedDirtDigger

Well done mate despite the redundancy. My prospecting will be limited to between school hours but the weekends will be rippers. I can watch him for hours running my (his) xterra 70 on mullock heaps. Does well too on the little stuff -small wheat gold, coins, buttons etc. Bit little for my old 2200 just yet but happily plods along listening to my 4500, which I run with a speaker when we are together. Far better to teach than most adults - kids actually listen!!

Well iv given notice at work this week for a early retirement at 30' wife wants to go back to her career and I'll be the baby sitter for our little one, hopefully allowing me a little more detecting time starting next month.
Might see you out there loamer'

Congratulations Loamer, Red Dirt Digger and Zuke_Lynzy,totally jealous. Even though I've got 15 years to go before retirement I'm on the verge now of going through my junk and dumping what I don't need and chuck the rest in the ute and hitting the road. There's nothing really stopping me, I've got no bills, I don't smoke, don't touch alcohol, no missus, no kids, a family that doesn't know if I'm alive or dead most of the time. I've paying off a house but that's rented out to a friend so that's the payments taken care of. I've been living in the bush and out of the back of the ute for the last few years so I'm use to that as a matter of fact it's a good life. So what's stopping me?, well I want to upgrade the detector, finish the canopy on the ute, finish the job I'm doing now (don't want to leave him in the lurch, he been a good boss). So if I go it'll be January.
:) Mick

Congrats to those who are hanging up the work tools :) Hope you enjoy your time to its fullest.

Since the GFC, I've been working harder, longer hours, for less profit than before too.
Retirement is only a pipe dream for me at present.

A Big Big cheer for you loamer! Dig Dig Dig!
I am about 18 months away from retiring and counting the days.
Ah I can sense your serenity in the country air already..... very envious, and good for the little guy too, he will have some fantastic grounding to serve him well into the future.
Don't forsake Melbourne altogether..... you may need to make the odd trip in to watch the boys play. I'm getting the 3 match membership for next season so I'll make the trip in a few times.

Lots and lots of luck to you, and to all the others hanging up the clock card in the near future.

And give Max lots of pats. :)

Congrats mate! My parents retired a few years back, although it'll probably be a few years before they properly retire to the new house in Clunes.

As for myself, I need to find a job in 2 months when I finish uni before I think about retirement :p But I already have plans for that day! haha

Loamer, great news congratulations. :)
I was retrenched in March, no intention of going back to work even if i could find it at 64. There is plenty to do.
I hope you have a great and productive time and enjoy the opportunity.
Barry

Well done Loamer, been 'retired' for just over 2 months now and there are still not enough hours in the day and I haven't even started to get back into the fishing ..... visiting the goldfields at least once a week ...... just a shame the closest are an hour away (that would be time better spent searching).
Some retirees end up bored ..... very much doubt that you'll be in that category.
Enjoy every minute of it,
Cheers Tom

Congratulations Loamer enjoy that well deserved retirement. :D

I am 48 and way off retirement, GFC hit me badly wiped out my savings, that is why I look for gold to help supplement my income, it used to be a hobby now its a necessity. My hope is to one day find my retirement nugget.

Might be triple digits by the time I get there. But seriously is become a farce this retirement age/superannuation deal. Half your luck mate I know you will put those extra hours to good use. I hope its everything you want and more.

Latest posts